How-To: Eat Your Way to the Perfect Beach Bod

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

We’ve already given you a few tips on how to get the hottest beach bod for this summer, but here are a few foods and drinks that will help boost your metabolism and burn calories right in time for swimsuit season.

Eggs 

Everyone always says that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and they weren’t lying. Eggs are jam packed with protein, which keeps you feeling fuller longer and eating in the morning helps  you consume less calories throughout the day. So listen to what everyone says and make a couple eggs for breakfast tomorrow morning.

Greek Yogurt

According to experts, calcium consumed with an amino acid found in dairy products has been shown to burn fat. Greek yogurt is full of protein compared to regular yogurt and helps you boost the fat burning benefits. Now you have a good excuse to add more milk, cheese, and yogurt to your meals from now on.

Chicken Breast 

Protein helps maintain muscle mass and the more muscle mass you have, the better you burn calories. Protein also takes longer than carbs to digest, which leaves you feeling fuller, longer. Chicken has an extreme amount of protein, so eat up!

Cold Water 

My mom always tells me to drink a glass of water when I’m hungry because the pangs I’m feeling are actually from being thirsty. H20 is essential to your diet and when you drink ice water, your body dispurses energy, which warms the water to your natural body temperature.

Pistachios 

About 50 pistachios equals one serving and these nuts have a great balance of protein, fiber and healthy fat. All of these things together will jumpstart your metabolism and keep you feeling satisfied longer.

Chili Pepper

The ingredient that gives chili peppers their hotness is called Capsaicin and this ingredient can also help fire up your metabolism. Add these spicy little guys to all of your favorite foods at home or when you eat out.

Green Tea

According to research, when you consume 2-4 cups of fresh brewed green tea a day, it can help burn about an extra 50 calories daily. It teams up with other nutrients that are linked to increased metabolism, which can give you a smaller waistline.

Follow these tips and get your metabolism going so you can look great this summer!

Emily is a junior at the University of Iowa and is studying Journalism and Pre-Law with a minor in Health Communication. She has been a part of the Her Campus University of Iowa team since it was founded in 2010 and is a member of Ed on Campus. She has grown to love magazine writing and editing and if she somehow can't land her dream job (to be Carrie Bradshaw), she wouldn't mind settling for a job in the magazine industry. If nothing else, she hopes to attend law school somewhere in the Bay Area out West, her favorite place to be. Since the age of 15, Emily spent her summers in California, doing internships and falling in love with San Francisco. Some of her other interests include her 4-month-old longhaired wiener dog Henry, blogging, celebrity gossip, sushi, Private Practice, fro-yo, being a journalism nerd, and anything involving good conversation with good people. Although she's not exactly sure of her plans for the future, she knows journalism will somehow be the driving force in her career.