courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Death, unfortunately, is an inevitable thing we all have to go through at some part of our lives, and dealing through it during college doesn’t make it easier. Having recently dealt with a death experience myself, here are the steps I took to help me throughout the process.

1. Take the Time to Grieve

I went and talked to my teachers about what happened and requested time off, all of them were quite understanding and let me take the time off. My focus definitely shifted during this time so taking the time off also helped me get back into shape to be motivated for school again.

2. Talk Though it With Someone

It’s definitely okay to let all the emotions that you’re feeling out. I had talked through my sadness, anger or any other overwhelming emotions. It also helped me to remember the good times and talk it through with my family, friends or anyone else I felt comfortable talking to about it.

3. Clean Around the House

Cleaning my apartment felt like I was symbolically cleaning out my emotions and starting a fresh new day. Cleaning also led me to pull out those pictures to look back on the good memories.

4. Clear Your Mind in a Positive Way

I wanted to channel my energy in a positive way, so I went outside to jog/walk around the block, sang songs in my room, wrote in a journal all the thoughts that were running through my head and also doodled pictures in my journal. Not only did I feel better after, but I also felt accomplished having completed a task.

5. Start Doing Work

After the initial grief passed, doing something productive helped me move on during this hard time. Just doing a small task of washing the dishes, or starting a portion of the homework can go a long way when you’re looking to improve your mood.

My pain and grief lessened each day that went by. It was hard to deal with the first day and it took time for me to heal, but at some point, we all have to move on. Our loved ones will want us to move on and live our most incredible life, and we need to show them that they always are thought of and will always be in our hearts.

Image Credit: pic1, pic2, pic3, pic4, pic5

Amara Jammalamadaka is studying Computer Science and working towards her Data Analysis certificate at the University of Iowa. When she isn't piled with classwork, she likes to read comics, watch animes, and jam out to K-pop!