This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Yes, it is that time of year again…finals. That means it is time to study for over 24 hours on one test, which will probably result with you saying, “That wasn’t in the notes, we didn’t even learn that!” after the test is over. But even worse, almost everyone has more than one final. So, that means you’ll be studying even more than you would for just one. No worries though, finals coming up means it’s a time to treat yourself! Here are some ways to make finals a little easier:

1. Take Breaks

If you’re studying for over 5 hours without breaks, chances are you’re cramming way too much. Give yourself a 5-10-minute break at least every hour. This will give you enough time to retain your information that you just studied, as well as take a much needed break. If you are like me and have trouble focusing, take a 5 minute break every 30 minutes. Just try your best not to check your phone every 2 minutes or so…

2. Have some you time

Everyone needs some time on their own to just relax and watch some Netflix. Treat Yourself! Buy some cheap face masks and drink some wine, or pet your cat and snuggle up in a blanket. Do whatever you do to calm down and relax. It is important not to stress yourself out too much before a final because if you do, you’ll probably end up sick (and no one can do good on a final if they are sick).

3. Eat good food

Like I said, treat yourself! Finals is a stressful time, which means you might even lose some weight while studying. If you are a student who studies for hours upon hours, you probably are missing out on some meals. Your brain needs food, so feed it! This is your time to order an extra large pizza to the library and eat the whole thing throughout your 10 hours of studying. There is no such thing as a diet during finals week…eat!

4. Exercise

Believe it or not, you’ll most likely want to get up and move. Take a break from studying and go to the gym. Even if you just walk on the treadmill for 20 minutes, your body will thank you later when you are sitting in the same chair at the library for hours. Not only is this break good for your body, but you can watch some TV on your phone, too. Working out isn’t always fun, but during finals week, it’s a huge stress reliever!

5. Be positive!

Feel good, look good, do good! A positive attitude can get you a long way when it comes to finals. No one enjoys taking tests, and if they say that they enjoy them, it’s a lie. It’s hard to stay positive during finals, especially when you have no clue what the professor is saying half the time. However, if you go in with a positive attitude, your mind will most likely stay awake and energized. If you find it hard to be positive, just keep saying “I am excited for this to be over!”

Photos: cover, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

My name is Claudia Jannes, and I am a junior at the University of Iowa! I am a English and creative writing major in hopes to become a high school English teacher. I am thankful for her campus for giving me a voice on campus and on the internet!
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.