How To Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day With Food in Iowa City

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

A very exciting time of the year is arriving soon, and I know we’re all thinking about the same thing. ST. PATRICK’S DAY(I know y’all were thinking spring break)! For an Irish American girl like me, there is nothing I look forward to more than some good Irish food around this time of year. If you haven’t tried some traditional Irish foods, what better time than this very St. Patrick’s Day?! So gather your friends because I’m about to tell you how to celebrate this St. Patrick’s Day in Iowa City with some delicious cuisine.

Shepard’s Pie

If you ask any good Irish what the top 5 best Irish foods are, this delicacy should be at the top. Shepard’s Pie is a savory pie filled with mashed potatoes, lamb or beef and vegetables, like carrots and peas.

Sanctuary, 405 S Gilbert St, $14

Irish Stew

Traditionally, an Irish stew is made with lamb, but a beef Irish stew is just as amazing! Irish stew is filled with a hearty meat and a variety of root veggies, like potatoes or carrots. The awesome thing about Irish stew is that since it’s a folk dish, the recipe is never the same from place to place! But rest assured, it’ll always be divine.

Donnelly’s Irish Pub, 110 E College St, $5.99

Micky’s Irish Pub & Grill, 11 S Dubuque St, $4

Corned Beef

Okay, I know what you’re thinking. “EW. That’s the gross stuff my mom used to force us to eat on St. Patrick’s day with cabbage!” I’m sorry you had to deal with that, but let’s be clear that corned beef isn’t always gross! In fact, a really great way to get corn beef on St. Patrick’s Day is in a Reuben sandwich. The Reuben is a hot sandwich composed of corned beef, Swiss cheese, sauerkraut and Russian dressing, grilled between slices of rye bread. Don’t knock it until you’ve tried it. They’re to die for.

Micky’s Irish Pub & Grill, 11 S Dubuque St, $8.50

**BONUS! At Micky’s, you can get a Reuben with a side of Irish Stew for $10.50. Double the Irish fun.

Hamburg Inn No. 2, 214 N Linn St, $9.99

Quinton’s Bar & Deli, 215 E Washington St, $8.99

Lamb

Lamb is widely known as the quintessential Irish meat, and I’m glad it is because that stuff is so yummy. Lamb is definitely a delicacy, so this is the most expensive item on our St. Patty’s Day celebration menu. If you have the means to splurge, I’d recommend it. Hot St. Patrick’s Day date?

Iowa Chop House, 223 E Washington St, $28

Orchard Green, 521 S Gilbert St, $37

Bangers

If you’re looking for a traditional Irish breakfast, try bangers! “Bangers” are basically sausage links from across the pond, as this is a local delicacy in both Ireland and England. Start off your St. Patrick’s Day right with an Irish breakfast. Maybe you’ll be lucky all day?

Micky’s Irish Pub & Grill, 11 S Dubuque St, $7

Scones

I know I don’t have to sell you gals on scones; everyone knows they’re sweet and tasty. But did you know that they’re traditional Irish fare? Now you have a perfectly valid excuse to treat yourself to a scone this St. Patrick’s. You can thank me later.

Starbucks, 228 S Clinton St

Deluxe Cakes and Pastries, 812 S Summit St.

Good luck on your St. Patrick’s Day celebration! These fun foods and restaraunts are sure to make a perfect dinner out with your gals. 
Isabella is a student at the University of Iowa majoring in both Psychology and Gender, Women, & Sexuality Studies with a minor in Human Relations. She is a self proclaimed cheesecake enthusiast, flower child, and feminist. Isabella is low key obsessed with Cosmo and one of her life's ambitions is to have an article published by their online magazine. If she were a Sex & The City character she would be Miranda, because not everyone can be Carrie.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.