Style > Beauty

A Honest Review of the Controversial MORPHE x Jaclyn Hill Vault Collection

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

After Jaclyn Hill’s first Morphe collaboration, I was beyond excited to get my hands on their second collaboration, the Vault Collection. This collaboration has had its fair share of drama, including canceling the original launch due to inconsistencies in the eyeshadows and there still being inconsistencies after the second launch. As an avid audience member in the YouTube beauty community, I have noticed varying opinions on the Jaclyn Hill Vault Collection. Here is my personal opinion of the Jaclyn Hill Vault Collection that I received from morphebrushes.com and the looks I was able to create using all four of the palettes.

Ring the Alarm

If you’re a warm tone kind of person, the Ring the Alarm palette is definitely the one for you! This is one of my go-to palettes from the Vault because the colors are easy to work with. All the shadows are pigmented and blend well on the eyes. I usually prefer to start with a lighter color in the crease, so using this palette by itself to create one look was mildly challenging. With the variety of both matte and shimmer shades in this palette, the possibilities are endless!

Armed & Gorgeous

This is one of my favorites. While the shadows are pretty natural, the looks you can create with this are endless. Want a natural work/school eyeshadow look? This is perfect! Want to wear an eye-catching eyeshadow look on a date? This is still perfect! It also makes for a great fall palette. The colors are buildable and easy to blend together. The shimmers and metallics are also amazing and add a beautiful pop to the eye. VIP is one of the best inner corner highlight shades I have ever received in a palette. I truly have nothing but good things to say about this palette. Definitely my go-to palette for fall 2018!

Bling Boss

If you like to be a little more bolder with your eyeshadow, the Bling Boss palette is for you! I personally thought the mattes blended quite well for being darker purple shades, which is rare for affordable palettes. I like this palette, but it definitely isn’t my favorite. Berry Treasure is extremely difficult for me to work with and I wish there was a shade darker than Hush Hush, but lighter than Mystic and Rockstar. I personally like to slowly build shades into my crease, but unless I dip into another palette, I have to go straight into a darker matte shade right after I use Hush Hush as a transition. I was pleasantly surprised with the look I came up with using the palette and can’t wait to experiment more with these daring colors!

Dark Magic

Dark Magic is definitely a palette for the daring makeup lovers out there. While I am in love with the color scheme of the palette, it was extremely hard for me to create a look without it getting patchy when blending. Based on performance, this was the worst palette in the Vault, but it still wasn’t horrible, especially for the price point. The shadows in this palette just need more time to be worked with on the eye, so don’t grab this palette if you’re in a rush to get out the door until you have become familiar with the shadows and know how they work for you personally. The dark shadows just tend to get patchy. Just a tip if you’re thinking about purchasing the vault of just this palette individually, packing on the shadow before blending instead of going straight into blending works a little better.

So, What is my Overall Opinion?

I think these are great eyeshadows for the price. ($49 for the Vault or $15 each) The shadows in the Vault are amazing, in my opinion, compared to other drugstore palettes at the same price point. I think a lot of the drama came from people, including myself, that have previously purchased the original MORPHE x Jaclyn palette that had high expectations due to how amazing the first collaboration was. While my high hopes were slightly let down, I am still happy with the products I have received. 

Zoey is a third-year student studying English and Creative Writing and Journalism and Mass Communications at the University of Iowa. When she is not running social media for patchwork lit mag or editing Her Campus Iowa articles, you can often find her curled up with a glass of wine watching cheesy reality television.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.