Going Green is as Easy as Three, Two, One…Zero?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Flashback to a time when there was no waste, no plastic and, more importantly, no humans hurting and destroying the environment. Now fastforward to present day and take a look around; what do you see? If you said trash, and lots of it, then you are correct! It seems as though everywhere you look there’s some form of waste laying around — especially waste that is not biodegradable (i.e. plastic bottles, plastic wrappers, plastic bags, styrofoam, etc.). Now, these items were initially made to help make life easier and to reduce to the use of more precious forms of packing (i.e. metal, aluminum, etc.). However, plastic packing has taken over the lives of many while simultaneously killing the environment, including all life forms within it. 

Even though the majority of people are aware of this problem, not much is being done about it, mainly becuase people don’t know what to do about the situation. This is such a sad statistic considering there are SO many resources that can be used to help fix this problem! All it takes is a little effort, some inspiration and determination! I mean, just look at the picture of the turtle…I feel like that is inspiring enough to get you decrease or even stop your plastic consumption. 

Part of the plastic gyre located in the Pacific Ocean

The easiest way to start saving Planet Earth and all of its beautiful creatures is to recycle! Now, before you say: “Recycling is too hard! I have no idea what can be recycled! Besides, who cares about recycling anyways?!”, take a step back and reevaulate your life. Have you done that?! Good, because negative attitudes and commentary are not allowed here! First off, recycling is as simple as throwing a piece of paper into the recycling bin, which is generally located right next to the trash can; now how convenient is that?! SUPER CONVENIENT AND DEFINITELY NOT HARD AT ALL! (Sorry, but not sorry, for the all caps…I just get really passionate about saving the planet, okay?!) You can also throw plastic water bottles, cardboard and most other paper packaging in there; it’s really that simple! Unfortunately, plastic bags cannot be recycled :( …I know, it’s so sad! But there is a way to dispose of them in a better manner than throwing them in the landfill. Take all of your unused plastic bags to your local grocery store. Grocery stores generally have a place where you can put them, so they can be disposed of properly. 

Look here, folks, the things you can recycle! 

Some people have taken it even further than just recycling: they have become zero waste! What is zero waste you ask? Great question, reader! It’s a lifestyle choice that revolves around the idea of producing as little waste as possible, even when it comes to recycling! Now how cool is that? These people are such an inspiration, and I think it would be beneficial if everyone took a few notes from their book, which brings me to my point! I’m going to teach you guys how to start reducing your waste — not to the point of zero waste, but close — and save the planet in a few easy steps that you can do right here on campus! (Side note- a zero waste lifestyle can take many years to fully accomplish. It requires self-discipline and a great love for the planet. Someday, I hope I will be able to live this lifestyle, but for now I’m just going to keep on reducing my waste a little at a time!)

A great first step to take into the zero waste life is to have your own reusable waterbottle. This is an awesome way to cut back on your plastic intake and help reduce your carbon footprint. (Sad Fact: Over 50 billion plastic water bottles are used annually. An even sadder fact is that the majority of these bottles aren’t even recycled; they either end up in a landfill, our ecosystem or our oceans. I don’t know about you, but my heart broke a little bit after hearing that statistic.) So, finish off whatever disposable plastic bottles you may have, make sure to recycle them when you’re finished and invest in a resuable bottle! The planet will thank you for it!

Next, stop using plastic bags! Half the time you don’t need one anyways; well, at least I’ve found that to be true. Whenever you go shopping, take a reusable bag instead! It’s an innovative way to start a conversation about conservation. Who knows, maybe you’ll inspire someone else to save the planet! (It’s such a gratifying feeling, let me tell you!) Also, instead of buying new, new, new, buy used items. I promise they aren’t as gross as you may think. Besides, isn’t ~vintage~ the new in thing?! By buying used clothing/other items, you are helping to reduce the continuous cycle of new products entering the market, which generally end up in a landfill after a year or so.

Another simple way to reduce plastic consumption is to stop using plastic baggies and packing. When you’re at the grocery store, opt for products in recyclable packing or items that you can buy in bulk. If you go for the bulk option, bring your own reusable containers or bags that you can put the items in. If you’re thinking about buying food in plastic packaging at a store, look around and see if there’s a better option in less packing or packaging that can be recycled.

The final thing that you can do, even while you’re at school, is compost! If you’d like to make your own compost bin, go for it, or you can be lazy like me and just throw your food waste behind a bush. The food will either be eaten by a hungry animal or decompose and return to the soil. 

Some bulk buys in zero waste packing! It’s so pretty! *single teardrop falls*

So, even if you don’t embrace the zero waste lifestyle with the passion that I have, I hope that I have at least inspired you to take a look at your daily consumption and evaluate it. Zero waste is definitely not a lifestyle for many, but I think that everyone can at least take a step in reducing their plastic waste intake. Remember, even the smallest of steps can make a HUGE impact on the environment, and with that, GO GREEN, GO RECYCLING AND GO ZERO-WASTE! 

Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Claire is a student at the University of Iowa studying Business Management and Entrepreneurship with a minor in Spanish and a Certificate in Sustainability. She is a self-proclaimed hippie and loves cacti and cats. Claire is low key (and by low key she means high key) OBSESSED with Vampire Diaries and anything vintage - specifically if it's high-waisted. Her future goals include owning a sustainable company and backpacking across Ireland. Join Claire as she brings you on her journey through the cornfields of Iowa ;)
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.