Fun Fall Thrifting Haul

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Fall has arrived, ladies and gents, and you know what that means: comfy sweaters, oversized hoodies and a whole lot of money spent on these items. The way I like to save my money is by straying away from the over-priced mall and heading towards one of my favorite thrift stores.

Last year alone, the average American threw away about 81 pounds of clothing according to The Saturday Evening Post. That includes so many beautiful items, buried in a land fill, or worse, burned, releasing existential toxins into our earth. However, thrifting is an amazing way to not break the bank, while also stocking your closet with fun fall essentials!

Thrift Stores to Look into

The stores I have bought from in this haul include Goodwill, The Salvation Army and Ragstock, however, there are so many others, even here in Iowa City. Some include: Crowded Closet, The Second Act and Revival. You can often find racks of used clothes in the backs of consignment shops, boutiques or antiquing stores too. There are so many hole-in-the-wall little shops that are easy to find with a quick Google search. (Ragstock and Revival are a short walk from campus, located just downtown).

My Finds

Tommy Hilfiger t-shirt dress

Goodwill

$15

I paired this with white Vans, various bracelets, a simple necklace and some tortes shell sunnies for a beginning-of-fall look.

Oversized jean button-up shirt

Goodwill

$6

A great item to throw over any outfit to keep you warm on those chilly fall days and nights.

If you get too warm, tie that sucker around your waist for a cute slouchy look!

Blush pocketed cardigan

Ragstock

$15

I paired a tied-up white T, American Eagle jeans and platforms to pull the look together.

Cropped ‘Iowa Football’ t-shirt

Goodwill

$3

After cutting the shirt, I paired it with black ripped jeans, a black and gold belt (see below), a high messy bun and black high-top Converse.

*If you’re looking for good game day wear, never look past your local thrift store. It also helps to live in a place where your team plays!

Black and gold belt

The Salvation Army

$2

This belt is great to throw on if you want a little extra pop. The black makes it go with anything and the gold makes your outfit look put-together.

“Paranoid” jean jacket

Ragstock

$15

I absolutely love this jacket because it is a one-of-a-kind piece. I spray painted it using stencils and tore a little rip in the bottom left corner for some extra detailing. I paired this jacket with gold hoops for a feminine touch.

American Eagle vintage striped sweater

Goodwill

$15

I paired this oversized goody with the same blacked ripped jeans, white Vans and tortes sunnies.

Oversized light wash “men’s” jean jacket

Ragstock

$25

I paired this lifesaver with a loose cream sweater, black ripped jeans, Vans and tortes sunnies again.

*Don’t ever stray away from the men’s section of a thrift store. Some of my favorite finds are from the men’s section, and really, what is the “men’s section” anyway?

Tips for (Fall) Thrifting

1. I love buying oversized items, so I tend to gravitate towards the men’s section of the store. Here you can find hoodies, jackets, T’s and so much more fun fall gear to stock your closet.

2. Try to keep an open mind. Sure, some of the things you find aren’t going to be your all-time favorites, but try to be imaginative. I always like to picture myself in the item, or picture pieces in my own closet, that would be a good pairing for the item-in-question. This way, I can know if I will actually wear the article once I buy it.

3. Lastly, think of all the ways you could up-cycle a piece. With tearing, cutting, sewing or spray-painting, you could make the item unique just for you: a piece no one else has!

It was so much fun to go out and explore all that Iowa City has to offer with their thrift shops. I encourage everybody to do a little bit of thrifting because it saves money, helps the environment and ensures that you will have a one-of-a-kind look. Have so much fun finding those cozy sweaters, oversized crewnecks and jean jackets for a fun fall that’s full of thrifting!

I am a motivated journalism major here at the University of Iowa earning my certificate in entrepreneurial management as well. I love videography, fashion and music, and am looking forward to publishing my work as a writer.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.