This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

In light of the spring beginning to bloom across campus, the HerCampus-Iowa team members decided to do a little frozen yogurt (Froyo) comparison. Within the past year, many new Froyo places have popped up in the downtown area, and it can be difficult to make the decision where to go.  As the weather gets warmer and your cravings for something sweet and cold increase, you want to be sure you are making the right decision for your taste buds!

Aspen Leaf 

Environment

Located in the Ped Mall right across from DC’s, the atmosphere of Aspen Leaf is quiet and cozy. The HerCampus team decided that it would be a great place to come to hang out with friends or a date.

Flavors

The flavors are changed whenever they run out. They are created by a corporate figure at a cost of $.39 per ounce. The most popular flavor is cake batter, but they still carry other flavors like the classic vanilla. Two unique flavors they provide are blueberry pomegranate and tickled pink lemonade sorbet. 

Toppings

They offer a wide variety of toppings that most would expect, but three unique toppings are s’mores bark, marshmallow cream, and grasshopper cookies. They also offer other treats, courtesy of Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory, such as specialty caramel apples, truffles, and other chocolate goodies. 

Yotopia 

Environment

Yotopia was the first froyo place to make it to the Iowa City area, and it’s still going very strong. The atmosphere is bright and fun – a great place to study or just hang out. Despite the modern décor, it’s a very inviting space. It has very modern decorations, and is an inviting place.

Flavors

The flavors are created by a secret company using natural probiotics, and are priced at $.39 an ounce. The most popular flavors are pumpkin, cheesecake, and cake batter. Try some peanut butter or pomegranate raspberry if you’re feeling adventurous!

Toppings

Yotopia has a variety of toppings including fruits, chocolates, and syrups, but what this place has that others don’t are strawberry mochi, strawberry yogurt pop tarts, and passion fruit peals. They also offer fresh baked goods from Molly’s Cupcakes and complimentary lemon water.

Orange Leaf 

Environment

The atmosphere at Orange Leaf is very vibrant and modern. The building is located right by Prarie Lights, right next to the Ped Mall area. Much like Aspen Leaf, It’s a great place to go for hanging out with friends or a date.

Flavors

The flavors are changed weekly and are priced by the ounce. They offer regular flavors like chocolate and vanilla, but also have unique flavors such as snicker doodle, caramel apple, and oatmeal cookie. The most popular flavor is brownie batter.

Toppings

Although they do not offer baked goods, sauces, or drinks, Orange Leaf still has some not-so-ordinary toppings. Grab some waffle cone pieces, coconut, and Reese’s puff cereal to take your froyo to a whole new level.

Capanna Coffee and Gelato 

Environment

Capanna has a very spacious atmosphere with plenty of places to study, and is located at the center of the Ped Mall. They offer a wide variety; all things from muffins, cookies, doughnuts, and scones to coffee, lattes, soda, and tea. numerous other drinks. Are you vegan? No sweat! They offer vegan-friendly yogurts, which are indicated by blue handles on the scoops.

Flavors

The flavors are always made fresh, and they swap them out three to four times a week. Mike McCain, who is the owner, was trained in Italy, and decides the flavors. The most popular flavor is stracciatella,, followed by raspberry chocolate, sweet cream, and chocolate chip. If you’re feeling bold try their wild berry jalapeno, autumn cheesecake, and sea salt caramel.

Toppings

Sorry folks, there are are no toppings available with this froyo!

Now that the sweaters have been shaved off the trees in the Ped Mall, and Mother Nature has decided it’s time for some warmer weather, you should treat yourself to some delicious frozen yogurt! We hope the HerCampus team has helped make your decision a bit easier!

Hello! My name is Brianna Sudrla. I am a Junior at the University of Iowa studying Journalism and Mass Communication. I love to write about food, advice, night life, and events going on around the area. My number one passion is traveling, and because I am in school I am limited on what I can do. This is why my number one hobby is watching shows on the travel channel, following travel blogs on my tumblr account, and looking at photographs.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.