A Freshman’s Guide to Sophomore Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Transitioning from high school to college is a big change. What some college students hesitate to realize is that sophomore year can be a sharp contrast to freshman year.  Dorm rooms are no longer a given, and your best friends no longer live right down the hall from you. Taking these tips into consideration will help you transition seamlessly from freshman year to sophomore year.

Choose roommates wisely. Sometimes, it’s better not to room with your high school bestie. Instead, it’s sometimes better to choose someone who you’re not so close with. Living with someone who is simply your roommate can make things a bit less stressful, and you don’t have to worry about the stress that comes with living together getting in the way of your friendship. However, no matter who you room with, roommates may have disagreements. The most important thing is to be open and talk about misunderstandings or issues that may arise. Having trouble finding a roommate? Universities usually have a roommate finding service through off-campus housing. 

Don’t wait until the last minute to find an apartment or house. In college towns like Iowa City, the larger student population introduces high housing market competition. If you choose to sign a lease as early as October, you are guaranteed a spot in a clean, affordable place of your choosing.

Beware of hidden fees. Pay attention to the lease. There could be hidden fees in fine print. Are the utilities included? What kinds of amenities come with the house or apartment? Are pets allowed, or will you have to get rid of Fido before moving in? All of these things need to be considered when reading the lease carefully, and always pay attention to fine print.

Don’t freak out if you still don’t know what you want to do with your life. Just because you’re no longer a freshman doesn’t mean you should have everything figured out. Even if you don’t know what your major is or what career you want to pursue, it’s not time to panic. At the beginning of your sophomore year, you still have three years to learn what you truly love. 

Freshman year friends may stay, but many will go. If your freshman weekly lunch date stops answering your texts, it may be sad, but it is a defining moment. Sophomore year is when you start to realize who your true friends are. Now that you no longer live down the hall or in the same dorm as your college friends, it takes more effort to see them. Come sophomore year, you’ll be able to tell who is willing to put in the effort and who isn’t.

Being in an apartment means you have to prepare to be truly independent. Living in the dorms, most of your essentials are provided for you. However, moving into an apartment means you have to provide your own furniture, food and dishes. Planning ahead and making a list is crucial to moving into an apartment or house. You also have to keep in mind the maintenance and upkeep that goes into being a renter of a house or apartment.

It only gets better from here. During freshman year, you just get a taste of what campus life is truly like. Sophomore year and after, you learn the ropes and continue to grow as a University of Iowa student.

Good luck in your sophomore year and beyond, Hawkeyes!

*Photos via Facebook, Pinterest

Hannah is a junior at The University of Iowa. She is a student in The UI School of Journalism and Mass Communication, as well as the Communications Undergrad Program. She is actively involved on campus, and enjoys cooking & working out. She's obsessed with her dog, Toby and hopes to one day work in fashion public relations.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.