The Formula Interview with Katie Goebel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

This summer our beloved Iowa City was the backdrop for the new movie The Formula. This film was written and directed by two Iowa graduates, and it seems Iowa City may also have a future movie star on campus. Uiowa’s very own Katie Goebel stars alongside Johnny Tsunami’s Brandon Baker, and is playing the role of T.J (Brandon’s love interest). Hopefully she will follow in the footsteps of Iowa’s Ashton Kutcher (fingers crossed). I was lucky enough to sit down and interview this campus celeb!

Q: Can you tell us about the movie without giving too much away?
A: The film is about two engineering students who concoct this formula to get women to fall madly in love with them. It’s quite hilarious. A bromantic comedy if you will.

Q: So how did you get involved with this film?
A: Joe Clarke (Writer, director) and I had been in contact with each other since last fall – he told me about
this pitch he had for this film. I thought it was brilliant and I was on board ever since.

Q: Can you describe your character T.J?
A: My character is a young student teacher who is the love interest to Quinn (played by Brandon Baker). She’s a fun, down-to-earth, average, girl next door. It was a lot of fun to play her

Q: Was it weird filming in IC?
A: It wasn’t weird, but it was SO different! I attend the University in the school year and it was a very surreal experience being in Iowa City during the summer. Students are gone, you get a feel for who stayed.. Not only that, but I was playing this fictional character in this city that had been so real to me. It was an amazing experience. I loved it. The community was also really supportive.

Q: Did you become close with the other cast members?
A: Oh, yes. At first, it was a little weird – when Joe first said, “We just found a bunch of people who responded to this ad on Craigslist,” I was a little skeptical – but they’re the best bunch of Craigslisters I’ve ever met. Even the LA talent was so down to earth. By the end, we were all one big happy family not wanting our time together to end.

Q: Has being part of The Formula changed your life at all?
A: Absolutely – it was the experience of a lifetime for me. The film, the people, the moments made into memories… Yeah, it absolutely changed my life. I feel very fortunate to have had that opportunity.

Alexandra is a junior at the University of Iowa. She is majoring in Journalism and is an aspiring entertainment journalist. She is originally from the Chicago suburbs, but hopes to one day live in L.A to fulfill her dreams of becoming an entertainment journalist.
Full time English/Studio Arts major, Full-time visionary. Native Chicagoan and a true city girl. In love with love and a frequent contributing writer for the HC-UIowa Modern Love column(however not frequent enough). Current endeavor?  Proud Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UIowa, I am progressively expanding the chapter's reach through creative, fun, and informative content with a unique publication voice. I also have published content for diffrent on-line and print media. I love everything HC, but when I am not writing, editing, or publishing I am trying out the latest health trends in fitness and food, hanging out with friends, or fueling a bad habit of on-line shopping. Future endeavor? Editor-in Chief of a magazine something like Glamour, Cosmo, or Self. Want to keep up with me? Follow me on Twitter @EllandreaM