This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

As we reminisce over the pop culture highlights of the last decade and bid adieu to the 2010s, we here at Her Campus are thinking futuristically! That’s right, I’m talking 2020! What better way to kick off the new year than when the ball drops at midnight January 1? If you’re anything like me, the idea of a great New Year’s Eve outfit is what is getting you through your finals, but if you are understandably overloaded with finals and haven’t had time to think about what color of lipstick will go with your New Year’s Eve outfit, we’ve got you covered! Whatever your personal style, maybe you want to ring in the new decade with a new one or stick to the script- either way we’ve broken down our party girls’ looks so you can be whoever you want to be when the clock strikes midnight! 

The Classic Girl

Our classic girl has taken on a new meaning as we not only find ourselves at the end of another year, but at the end of a decade! Our classic beauty is paying homage to the 1920s this year while ringing in the 2020s and still keeping it classic!  

The Fit: 

• A tea length dress with black or gold sparkles to start the new year off ~shining~ 
  • We suggest a kitten heel, because not only will they go with the tea length dress but will also save your feet during a night of heavy dancing! 

Makeup, Hair, and Accessories: 

• It wouldn’t be a decade’s party without a bold red lip
  • To compliment that red lip, we suggest a winged eye- think Adele
  • For the hair, just some long loose curls, let your face shine through sister 
  • As for accessories, let’s keep that simple too with a tennis bracelet and maybe even a pearl necklace if you’re really feeling the decades vibe

The Edgy Girl 

If the classic look is a little too mainstream for you or you just want to show out in black from head to toe, you might just love our edgy girl inspired look- this look comes to you inspired by my dear friend Haley who is sure to show out, as all of you do the same! 

The Fit:

• Did someone say leather? Yes of course we did! Start your look with a leather jacket because it’s a look, and also its sure to be cold this NYE
  • Contrary to all the sparkles- as an edgy girl, you’re just different so we suggest a lace body suit 
  • Pair that body with some black denim skinny jeans to complement the leather and the lace 
  • Finally, go big or go home with those shoes baby! Lace up your black platform boots, maybe take a test walk, and get out there!  

Makeup, Hair, and Accessories:

• This look couldn’t possibly be complete without a smoky eye, but you should add some sparkle too, right? It is New Year’s Eve
  • Because your eyes are already poppin’ keep it simple with a nude lip 
  • You should straighten your hair and if you’re feeling it, add some red or purple temporary hair color! 
  • For your accessories work those ears! Get some dangly earrings, the bigger the better, and run with it! 

The Glamour Girl 

This is it gorgeous, your time to shine! If you are trying to treat this NYE like it’s your moment on the red carpet you might just like what you see in our ~glamour girl~ section! Our girl is fashion forward, high fashion, a trend setter, and probably super warm for the cold night ahead in our outfit below! 

The Fit:

• Two words: Sparkly Pantsuit. 
  • We are not stopping there, throw on that faux fur jacket you don’t get to wear often enough! White might be tough so we suggest a black or a red- either way you’ll look fabulous darling
  • You’re already killing the game but let’s top it off with some heeled booties

Makeup, Hair, and Accessories:

• Like our classic girl, let your features and your outfit shine with a simple long loose curl
  • But add to that loose curl a rhinestone barrette clip, if you feel so bold 
  • Top that look off with a matte or satin burgundy lip and you are literally red carpet ready

The Saucy Girl 

You may be asking me, where are the knee-high boots? If so, you my sister may be looking for our saucy NYE look! Use this night to let your inner Aphrodite shine through with this look! 

The Fit: 

• Mini dress but make it fashion with a plunging neckline! We’d suggest either a sparkly or black mini dress, but also, I am in full support of a little red number as well
  •  Animal print faux fur coat- girls gotta’ stay warm while building her empire 
  • And of course, knee high boots! The ones with the ties in the back fall down slightly less than the other, but just use what ya’ got because you’re going to work it either way!

Makeup, Hair, and Accessories:

• Because your outfit is doing a lot of talking, we suggest a neutral smoky eye with some glitter to keep it fun
  • Sparkly high gloss to complement the simple eye 
  • Potentially some false lashes if you’re comfortable with that and if not, I usually use Benefit Cosmetics They’re Real mascara, but just do you and you’re going to look great 
  • Top off the look with some big gold or silver hoops, simple yet making a statement. The statement is: “I’m wearing earrings” 

The Manic Pixie ~Glitter~ Girl 

Our Manic Pixie Glitter Girl is not the trope of girl next door used in most films, rather she is literally what you would image a pixie fairy to look like on New Year’s Eve at the turn of a decade. Think human disco ball and if that’s you- than this look might just be your NYE style! 

The Fit: 

• You are literally going to shine in every facet, so we think you should keep it simple with a little black dress, but maybe one with a nice astrology, holographic, glitter dress
  • A glittery bootie heel will also accomplish the human disco ball look were going for here

Makeup, Hair, and Accessories: 

• Glitter EVERYTHING: we’re talking hair glitter, face glitter, and body glitter! It is your time to SHINE!
  • Add a sparkly high gloss to the look because [see reason above]!
  • Use that highlighter like you are from outer space because for this night you are out of this world!

Whether you use these ideas for inspiration or have your own style you want to mix, match, and play with, we fully support whatever look you are ringing in the New Year with- because you are all stunning, fabulous, gorgeous no matter what you wear! End the decade with a bang, be with your friends and family, and we know you’ll look good doing it! Happy NEW YEAR! 

Image Credit: 6 

Hi all! My name is Audrey and I am so ecstatic to be writing and creating and getting to share it with all of you! Thanks for clicking!
Rachel McCracken is a senior at the University of Iowa majoring in Communication Studies, minoring in Journalism and Mass Communication, and working toward her certificate in Media Entrepreneurship. She is graduating this May and is very thankful for the time she's spent being a member of Her Campus Iowa.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.