Five Romantic Restaurants Hidden Around Iowa City

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

As Valentine’s Day approaches, you’re probably starting to plan that cliched romantic evening with your significant other – maybe reserving a table for two at Basta, catching a late movie at the Coralride theater, or petting puppies at PetLand. Altough all those plans sound sweet, they’re also typical. Why not try something new on Valentine’s Day? Lucky for you, there are a handful of hidden restraurants scattered throughout Iowa City that could totally shake up some romance and excitement with your valentine this year. 

1. Green Orchard Restaurant LoungeHidden behind the Vine, Green Orchard will keep you entertained with a dim-lit fireplace and performance area that is occupied by local musicians. This lounge offers an interesting alternative to the downtown food and drink menu, with John’s Groceries drink selection on tap, and local ingredients from Wilson’s Orachard. A few menu items include: seared sea scallops, vegetable risotto, filet mignon, and New York steak.

Dinner Hours: Wed-Sat: 5-10pm

521 S. Gilbert Street, Iowa City, IA

2. Clinton Street Social ClubThis hidden restaurant (above Short’s Burger’s and Shine) is not known by many. It’s a haven for those that want to get away from the party and bar scene. You can enjoy their free jazz and tin pan alley blues events on Saturday nights. Their kitchen uses Rice Bran oil in the fryers to reduce cholesterol levels, while also improving flavor. A few menu items include: a selection of “between bread” cheeseburgers, salads – caesar, warm apple, and brussels sprout – cockles and muscles, and roasted chicken breast. Sourcing is free range and all natural.

Dinner Hours: Mon-Sat: 4pm-12am

18 1/2 S. Clinton Street, Iowa City, IA 

3. Baroncini Ristorante ItalianoTucked away in a corner of Iowa City is Baroncini, a small restaurant with contemporary Italian cuisine. Chef Gianluca Baroncini’s philosophy is to always use fresh, seasonal, and local ingredients. This philosophy also controls what items are on the daily menu due to availability and creativity. A few menu items include: a variety of Italian pasta, minestron di verdura (homemade mixed vegetables), zuppa di patate e porro (homemade potato and leek soup with cheery tomatoes), and tortino di cioccolato gianduia (chocolate hazelnut cake with vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce). Baroncini is also offering a Saint Valentine’s Day dinner with a pre-chosen appetizer, entree, second entree, and desert.

Dinner Hours: Mon-Sat:5:30pm-10pm

104 South Linn Street, Iowa City, IA 

4. Crepes de Luxe CafeAlthough this may not seem like the typical dinner date, Crepes de Luxe’s Paris theme and atmosphere will definitely get you into the romance spirit. This restaurant brings a new and affordable culinary experience to an area that is already smothered with culture. The menu is quite strait forward (crepes) but differs in flavor from sweet to savory, like Crepe du Jour with seasonal berries and cream to Fromage Fantasy with mozzarella and cheddar. Bon Apetit!

Dinner Hours: Tues-Sat:5pm-9pm

309 East College Street, Iowa City Iowa 

5. StellaThis hidden, Melrose restaurant is one you have to try at least once before graduation. Stella’s romantic ambience flows throughout the terrance with its Christmas light decorations and vintage brick walls. The atmosphere inside is darker and pub-like. The menu ranges from traditional creole dishes to a large variety of cheeseburgers. A few menu items include: wings, cheese fries, crab cakes, soups and salads, and 9” pizzas. There is also an elegant selection of both domestic and imported beer, red and white wine, and cocktails.

Dinner Hours: Mon-Sat:11am-10pm

1006 Melrose Ave, Iowa City, IA

Studying journalism and political science at the University of Iowa. Interested in magazine reporting and writing, health and fitness, blogging, and photography.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.