But First, Cortado: A Look Into Iowa City’s Newest Cafe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Almost every college student at the University of Iowa has probably heard word of the newest coffee shop that opened up right on the campus strip last week. Conveniently located across from the Pentacrest and just a short walk away from most campus classes, Cortado is the perfect place for any student to grab a cup of coffee in between classes.

The cafe has a rustic-modern look with a contemporary vibe and the music to match. While it still has some settling in to do, it has great potential for becoming the next hot study spot on campus. Although, if you’re a fan of the library, this place probably isn’t the best for you, as the music and wooden floors make it a little loud for the quiet study bug.  

I’ve tried three different drink options since the opening and am here to say Cortado is definitely worth stopping in to. Starting off with the basics, I tried a simple iced coffee, no cream, no sugar (the ultimate test in evaluating a coffee shop’s standing on my “favorites” list). While I’m not the biggest straight-black coffee fan, I have to say I would order Cortado’s again. It was smooth and simple, perfect for the coffee fan with sensitive taste buds.

Next came the latte (with a couple added pumps of chocolate). It was, again, smooth in flavor and not too overpowering. However, the one drink that took me by surprise was the iced vanilla latte. This drink was incredibly sweet and not for the coffee addict, but definitely for the sweet tooth who regularly orders frappes from Starbucks.

Overall, Cortado isn’t a business to pass by. It embodies Iowa City’s ever changing aesthetic and has the hottest location when it comes to appealing to the college crowd. Not to mention, you can pick up some pretty tasty snacks and salads here when you need a break from analyzing your textbooks. Check this trendy spot out, Iowa City collegiettes!

All photos are the author’s own

Hey, I'm Emma! I’m a lover of writing as much as I am a lover of mochas, breakfast food, and all things striped. As of right now, I am a freshman at the University of Iowa, studying Journalism and Mass Communications.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.