Fashion 101: The Latest in 2012 Spring Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Spring has finally sprung and this time of year tends to be when I decide to delve into the depths of my ridiculous closet and finally begin weeding things out. This is when I really let my inner organizer out and let her work her magic on the monstrous pile of clothes that invades my room. With this being said, I also start to really look through what I have in there, a lot of which is clothing I haven’t worn in years! After all the TLC has been done, my closet tends to look sad and empty and that is where the fun begins. Empty closets + new spring trends = I get to pick a few of my favorite styles for spring and summer, and then go pick up some new items to help revive my boudoir. This spring’s fashion week showcased some amazing style, but I have picked my top list of styles that will be super simple to do in the life of a collegiette girl.

Trend One: Tangerine colored anything. This was Pantone Colors pick for color of the season, and who can argue that tangerine doesn’t look good with a nice golden tan?

Trend Two: Pastels are everywhere! They look sweet and demure, and are perfect for Easter, but they also help give a prim and polished look to any outfit.

Trend Three: Metallic clothing is still in, but it is meant to be done in a muted way. So whether it is a simple a-line skirt, a wrap dress or just a pair of heels, keep the metallic bold but the shape/cut simple and chic.

Trend Four: Color Blocking is all the rage. You can be bold or more subdued with this trend, but it is beyond easy to accomplish and you will always look fiercely fashionable.

Here are a couple quick looks involving my top four trends via Polyvore:

HC Guide to Spring 2012 Trends

If you fashion loving fiends are like me, I can’t wait to start trying some of these simple yet colorful trends that are sure to really make spring and summer even more merry. So here is to cleaning out the closets and making room for the new trends that are sure to make you look fantastic in the warmer weather. Happy cleaning and shopping!

XoXo,
Taylor

Emily is a junior at the University of Iowa and is studying Journalism and Pre-Law with a minor in Health Communication. She has been a part of the Her Campus University of Iowa team since it was founded in 2010 and is a member of Ed on Campus. She has grown to love magazine writing and editing and if she somehow can't land her dream job (to be Carrie Bradshaw), she wouldn't mind settling for a job in the magazine industry. If nothing else, she hopes to attend law school somewhere in the Bay Area out West, her favorite place to be. Since the age of 15, Emily spent her summers in California, doing internships and falling in love with San Francisco. Some of her other interests include her 4-month-old longhaired wiener dog Henry, blogging, celebrity gossip, sushi, Private Practice, fro-yo, being a journalism nerd, and anything involving good conversation with good people. Although she's not exactly sure of her plans for the future, she knows journalism will somehow be the driving force in her career.