A Farewell to Mr. & Mrs. Smith

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

It’s official. Angelina Jolie has filed for divorce from Brad Pitt after just over two years of marriage. #TeamJolie is heartbroken while #TeamAniston is providing us with a surplus of memes calling for a resurrection of that one-time glamorous relationship. As avid celebrity tabloid readers and E! News enthusiasts, we’re left wondering so many things. Who will take the kids? Did someone cheat?  Why now? Why ever? Citing irreconcilable differences just leaves so much left to imagination. 

As they begin to divide their assests and make a public plea for the press to back off, let’s take a look back at a few #Brangelina era highlights. 

Mr. and Mrs. Smith

The movie topped charts it’s opening weekend and remains the highest grossing film for each actor. It centered around two young assasains lying to each other about their jobs and living a quaint suburban, fake fairytale while they plotted to kill each other. It was dramatic, sexually charged and action packed. It also ignited rumors that the two lead actors were more than just an on screen couple. Pitt was married to Jennifer Aniston at the time. 

A month after Anniston filed for divorce, Pitt and Jolie were spotted vacationing in Kenya with Jolie’s adopted son, Maddox. 

The W Cover

June 2005 brought the “domestic bliss” cover of W magazine. But they still “weren’t a couple.”

(Getty/ Stephen Klein)

Zahara, Shiloh, Pax, Knox and Vivienne make six 

Once they finally announced that they were a couple, Jolie and Pitt adopted more children together, and Pitt even adopted the two children Jolie already had, Maddox and Zahara. They had three biological children that stole every cover page of every celebrity magazine ever when they were born. 

Break ups, cheaters and the tabloids of 2010

In December of 2009, an unauthorized book, Brangelina Exposed, hit shelves. It made accusations that Pitt cheated on Jolie and that their relationship was in turmoil. The following February, News of the World published an article claiming Jolie and Pitt had split up, which led to Jolie successfully suing the publication. 

Finally engaged

Hollywood relationship timelines tend to move 10 time faster than the average relationship. Five years and six kids later, everyone wondered why these two remained partners and not husband and wife. In April of 2012, Jolie showcased her million dollar ring but no concrete wedding plans. It wasn’t until August of 2014 that the pair would get married secretly at their chateau in France.

The health crisis

After undergoing testing for the existence of a gene that heightened her chance of getting breast cancer, Jolie underwent a preventative double mastectomy and later, in 2015, a full removal of her fallopian tubes and ovaries. Pitt spoke to Esquire about the ordeal but stood confidently by Jolie throughout the entire process. 

September 2016

Jolie isn’t only filing for divorce, but she’s asking for full physical custody of all six children, leaving Pitt with only visitation rights. With so many unanswered questions, the only thing we can do is sit back, rewatch Mr. and Mrs. Smith and read back issues of People magazine in search of happier times. 

#RIPBrangelina 

Cover Image

University of Iowa sophomore majoring in Journalism and Engaged Social Innovation. Member of Alpha Chi Omega sorority. Hospitality newbie. Reader, writer, and wanderluster. At least that's what I want my business card to say.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.