Style

“Falling” for This Throwback Fashion: 3 Old Trends That Need to Comeback In 2020

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Growing up  in the early 2000s, we as gen-z have seen a multitude of trends falling in and out of style throughout our lives. As many have resurfaced, faded away or been banished for eternity (low rise don’t come back please and thanks!), there are three in particular that deserve comebacks this fall!

Juicy Couture Tracksuit

The first trend that should re-enter the loop of fashion is the iconic Juicy Couture Track Suits. You might laugh but hear me out, lets not forget how cute these outfits truly are. Not only are they perfect for fall being long pants and a sweatshirt, but they add a pop of color to that primarily black and grey wardrobe (an assumption I’ll admit, but tell me I’m not partially right…). Trust me I’m a firm believer in Lulu leggings as well, but wouldn’t it be nice to have something a little different yet just as comfy every once in a while? Popular retail store Urban Outfitters actually stocked some racks with few of these hot numbers so could this be the slow but sure start of their return? 

Hair Styles

As I walk across campus, through the library and around a party all I see on people’s heads is the same three things: long, straight, middle part. Sadly it seems hairstyles and hair accessories have become thing of the past. I think they should resurface this fall! What inspired this idea was I bought some really awesome headbands this summer and did some cute looks with them so far. Also one of my sorority sisters was wearing an adorable barrette that compeleted her look during recruitment. There are so many ways to do your hair yet we all (including myself) wear it the same way pretty much every day. With the covid crisis happening right now too, its all the more reason to start this back up again because on zoom you can no longer rock cute back to school clothes! Everyone will still be able to see your new hairstyles though! Buns, braids, pig tails, head scarves, and headbands are all fun ways to do your hair and bring out your personality. Its so interesting to see how much difference a simple accessory or hairstyle can bring to an outfit. 

Fall Flare

The final trend is one that many have probably noticed coming back slowly but surely over the past year. This look originally made its mark as a staple item to own in the 1970s and is heavily featured throughout the Mama Mia films (If you haven’t seen them here is your sign to go watch!). It hasn’t fully re-entered the style circle 100%, but this fall it definitely should. Flare pants, bellbottom jeans, whatever you might call them, they are adorable looks that I’ve noticed few brave souls attempt to bring back. Not only does this style of jean need to return, but patterned flare should rock your bedroom runway too. Flare pants make for some going out looks that I think surpass Lulu Lemon on a style scale by a lot. Currently when going out its a sea of black ripped skinny jeans and tight skirts. Ladies…is it time we switch it up a bit? Not only do patterned flare pants and flair jeans flatter a wide variety of body shapes, but various brands make them super comfy too yet still dressy enough to wear out. Plus another pro, they look great on the gram!

I get it, it can feel risky to wear something out of the norm at first. Don’t worry about people glancing at you for wearing something that was once a trend. Those people will show up soon enough wearing the same thing when they realize its ~falling~ back in to style. ;) 

Hi I'm Emily! I am a second year journalism mass communications major with a second area of study in Entrepreneurial Management and a minor in theater arts. I am so excited to be writing for Her Campus UIowa Instagram: @emilycolitte
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.