andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Every Guy You Could Possibly Date While in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

College is a great opportunity to put yourself out there and meet new people. Whether you are open to a relationship or just playing the field, you will quickly notice quite a few guys that fit into one or more of the following sterotypes.

The Chads

We see these guys all over campus repping their frat apparel and talking with their bros about the epic party they went to the night before. They know or at least think they are hot and because of that think they’re doing you a favor by taking the time of day to even talk to you. Their Tinder bios often consist of “Here for a good time, not a long time.” Nine times out of ten the most you’ll get out of them is a one night fling, so don’t waste your time.

The Freshman

If you are an upperclassman, you know exactly who I’m talking about. You tend to steer clear of dating young and naive freshmen, but somehow one sweet-talked their way into a date or a casual one-on-one hangout. After, you will realize just how naive and immature freshmen are and make an excuse why you can’t hangout the next time they ask.

The Senior

If you are a freshman, you might have had an encounter with a senior you really liked, whether it was because or their personality, looks, or both, and somehow they agree to a date or ask you out. You’ll quickly figure out that they are either immature and that’s why they are dating younger or they’re not looking for anything serious. 

The Mistake

This is exactly what it sounds like. You decided to ignore all the signs that hanging out with them was a bad idea and immediately regretted it. Regardless of what they did for you to run as fast as possible in the opposite direction, they are a worst date horror story that you’ll tell your all friends about. 

The Bad Boy

He’s the rebel that likes to go against the crowd and that’s why you like him. Something about him and his bad boy vibes get your adrenaline running. Even though he’s not good news, he has a special place in your heart that’ll make you answer that “you up?” text immediately. 

The Good Friend

He’s the sweet boy you originally thought would make great boyfriend material. He’s so nice and you get along great. You will keep him around to try to make it work, but eventually, you’ll just have to face the fact that there’s no spark. He will stick around as a good friend or you’ll drift apart and never talk again.

The Broken One

You feel for him, but he’s just too depressed to even think about starting a relationship. You’ll want to fix him and be there for him, but you’ll slowly realize that the constant sad vibes are starting to compromise your own happiness. It’s okay that you can’t fix what is already broken. 

The Creep

He’s really clingy right away and will constantly shower you with sweet texts and gaze into your eyes for way too long. He’ll say things that just don’t sit well in the pit of your stomach. When you try to let them down as nicely as possible, they will continue to blow up your phone with texts, forcing you to either ghost them or block them.

The Momma’s Boy

He knows how to treat women with respect like all men should, but he was babied way too much by his mom. As you hang out with him, you’ll realize, especially if he’s a freshman or living in an apartment for the first time, that he doesn’t know how to do a lot on his own. Picking up the slack due to his helplessness will get old really quick, trust me.

The FWB

Just like the Chads, these guys often feature something about ‘being here for a good time’ in their Tinder bios. These guys, even though they’re just looking for you to be a friend with benefits, are classier than the Chad’s. They are usually upfront with their intentions and don’t ghost you after one night. Just don’t expect them to stay around for too long. 

Running into guys that fit these stereotypes can start to feel defeating, but don’t give up! Not all men are the same. Trust me, there is someone out there for you.

GIF Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Zoey is a third-year student studying English and Creative Writing and Journalism and Mass Communications at the University of Iowa. When she is not running social media for patchwork lit mag or editing Her Campus Iowa articles, you can often find her curled up with a glass of wine watching cheesy reality television.