DIYs to Beat Your Spring Break Boredom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

When I think of spring break I think of beaches, beaches, and well, beaches. I think of a time for relaxation spent with my friends and family in (typically) some tropical place that serves some great strawberry daiquiris (Virgin of course and preferably with whip cream on top! Mmmm, mmmm, reminds me of past Spring Breaks. Letting the memories ensue…) But in some years, I’m not as lucky, and get to spend Spring Break laying on my bed and longingly looking at everyone’s pictures of their ocean views and tanned skin. With Spring Break approaching at an alarmingly fast rate, all I can think about is my lack of plans for the week. I mean, you can only watch so many TV shows on Netflix without boring yourself to death (I can’t be the only one that feels this way?! But let’s be real, I probably am. *sigh*) Anyways, I digress. Since I am staying at home for break this year, I thought it would be the PERFECT time to start doing some of the Pinterest projects that have been piling up on my awesome stuff/DIY board (That is actually the name in case you were wondering). With that in mind, I have picked out some of my favorite, and cheap, Pinterest inspired projects for me, and possibly you, to do! With that being said…

Painted Succulent & Cactus Pot

(Photo Credit: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/147070744059080397/

Spruce up your gardening and artistic skills with this simple and easy decorated pot!

Needed Items:

• A succulent or cactus
  • A pot – either small, medium or large, depending on how many plants you want to plant, with a drainage hole at the bottom
  • Small rocks (up to you)
  • Cacti and Succulent potting soil
  • Paint – preferably thicker paint, not water color (haha)
  • Paintbrush
  • Small gardening shovel or spoon (If you want to use one, or just use your hands.)

You will first start off by gathering these materials. You can find the plants, pot, gardening soil and rocks at your local gardening, hardware, or even grocery store. The paint, paintbrushes, pot and rocks can also be bought at a craft store, Target or any store that’s similar. (Or you can use whatever you have at home or find in your yard — i.e. the rocks.) After you gather your materials, you can start with the fun stuff! YAY! Start by painting the pot with the color of your choice. You can add fun designs like the one featured in the image above, or just leave it plain! Now, leave the pot to dry and treat yourself to an episode, or two, of your favorite show on Netflix. After the pot has dried, you can add a layer of small rocks in the bottom of the pot to act as a drainage layer. (This is optional, but if you’re planting a succulent, I highly suggest adding this to your steps). On top of that, add a damp layer of cacti and succulent soil. Make a small hole in the center and place your plant of choice there, keeping some of the soil from the original container with it. Be sure that the roots are fully covered and under the soil. Pour a little bit of water into the pot right after this, so your plant can become acclimated. If you really want to, you can add decorative rocks or other small gardening decorations to the pot as well! And there you have it, a super cute decoration to add to your room! 

(For succulent and cacti care, ask the employees of the store you purchase it from. But the best rule of thumb is to water once a week. The amount of water you use will vary.)

Always Festive Tassel Garland

(Photo Credit: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/147070744058758241/)

Add some life and color to your bedroom (or dorm room) walls and make all your friends jealous of your ~artsy~ crafting skills!

Needed Items:

• Either fabric, yarn or tissue paper (Get however many different types you want — make it unique!)
  • Scissors (if you’re using fabric or yarn, use fabric scissors)
  • Fishing wire/thin cord/twine/or ribbon

You will begin by…take a wild guess…gathering your supplies! You can get nearly all of these items at a craft store, Target, etc. If you’re using fabric or yarn, you will begin by cutting them at different lengths. (You can vary them or keep them consistent, whatever your little heart desires!) Next, lay the pieces of fabric or yarn over a hard or flat surface (table, index card, piece of paper, etc), making sure to have some of it layered on top of the paper, and some of it layered under. Take another small piece of fabric or yarn and thread it under the top part, creating a small, loose tie — this is the spot where the separation between the fabric/yarn on top of the paper and under the paper is. Now, you will have an item that semi looks like a tassle, but we’re aren’t finished yet! Fold the yarn or fabric, making sure it’s of equal length on both sides, and center the loose tie that you just formed. Once centered, form a tighter knot with the tie to make sure your tassle will be secure. Now, with your fabric/yarn of equal length, tie another piece of yarn or fabric either a half-inch to an inch below the top to create a small bulb at the top of the tassle. Trim the ends if you want to make the tassle even, or leave it at different lengths to add an edgier feel. Lastly, thread fishing wire or twine through the top of the bulb and securely tie in a knot. You will then attatch all of your finished tassles to a long piece of fishing wire or twine. And there you have it, some beautiful and always festive garland! (I will link the directions to all of these projects, including the tissue paper one, below in case you need pictures to help you!)

Yarn Garland Directions: http://www.jacksandkate.com/yarn-tassel-garland/

Fabric Garland Directions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7U_RS1212c

Tissue Paper Garland Directions: http://www.hgtv.com/design/make-and-celebrate/entertaining/make-your-own-tissue-paper-tassel-garland

Decorative Glass Jars — for the gypsy soul

(Photo Credit: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/147070744058889143/)

Turn your bedside table or dresser into a work of art with these simple decor items!

Needed Items:

• Glass jars (preferably with a narrow top, but any size will do)
  • Twine/yarn/thin pieces of leather (optional)
  • Beads or charms to tie to twine
  • Dried (or real…or fake) flowers and/or feathers

Begin by gathering your materials! You can find the jars/beads (possibly other items) at your local thrift stores (Thrift stores = inexpensive items = happy me!), craft stores and my favorite, Target. You can also find the twine/yarn and fake flowers (if you’re using them) at a craft store or target. If you’d like to have dried flowers, you can use some that you have at home, or just buy new ones and let them dry out! ~so artsy~ The feathers could potentially be a harder find, but definitely try a craft store if you do not already have some at home. Once you have all of your materials, you can begin the decorating process, whooohoooo! First, cut the twine/yarn/leather in pieces; you can vary them in length, or just leave them at a consistent length. Next, add your choice of beads and/or charms to the piece of twine/yarn/leather, and tie a knot securing it. Tie this around the neck of the jar (You can add more at different places on the jar and tie them at the base of the flowers if you want to give this item a more eclectic look). Add the finishing touches with either your flowers, feathers or both…and voila, you’re finished!

Hippie Planters

(Photo Credit: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/147070744058889147/)

Add some life to your living space with these 70’s themed planters!

Needed Items:

• Tin cans
  • Old tie-dye t-shirt
  • Fabric glue/Super glue 
  • Succulent/Cacti
  • Cacti and Succulent potting soil
  • (Potentially) Drill or a sharp object with which you can make a small hole

As with all of the other projects, start by gathering your materials! The cans can be found in your recyling bin (Go green or go home! Just kidding! Well slightly…) or at Target/Walmart/craft store. You can either use one of your old tie-dye t-shirts or buy one from a thrift store. Fabric/super glue can be found at craft/harware stores. Succulents, cacti and potting soil at your local gardening, hardware or grocery store. The first step will be to make a hole in the bottom of the tin can. (This is optional, but I have grown many succulents and cacti in my 19 years on this planet, and they always do better if their is a drainage hole in their pot.) After you have finished that step, you can wrap the can in the t-shirt, making sure to cut the t-shirt to size; glue the ends to the can with the glue. If you’d like, you can cut thinner strips and tie them around the can to secure the t-shirt even more and add come personal touches to your pot! Let this dry for a few minutes and then add your already damp soil to the can. (Be careful to avoid getting any of it on the fabric!) Make a small hole in the center and plant your plant of choice, making sure to keep some of the soil from the plants original container with it. Give it a good spritz of water for the final touch…and there you have it, a fun way to brighten up a living space!

DIY Frank Body Scrub (the perfect gift for you…and possibly your friends)

(Photo Credit: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/AXv4yq2KPRiHM6hAgQoYJr1Ws6MOikV9woeAIfEzgZVpk9VhXH41Wfo/)

Switch up your everyday beauty routine with this copy-cat Frank Body Scrub, you will never get tired of it! (Get it…coffee has caffeine…? ha…ha)

Needed Items:

• 1/2 cup coffee grounds (can either be fresh or pre-used)
  • 1/2 sugar (any sugar is okay, but the best would be something that is more finely ground, like brown sugar)
  • 1/4 cup oil (either coconut or olive oil)
  • Small jar that has a lid so you can store your scrub once it’s finished!

All of these ingredients can either be found at a grocery store or in your house, so that’s easy enough! Next, pour all of the ingredients (except for the jar, obviously!) into a medium sized bowl and begin mixing them together. Continue doing this until you’ve reached a smooth consistency. Scoop the mixture into your jar and seal it! Wow, now that is easy! (If you don’t try any other the other DIYs I’ve listed, at least try this one. Simply because it’s so effortless and will make you smell delicious! But let’s be real, that’s just an added bonus.) Use during your shower or bath, and enjoy! (For best results, leave the scrub on damp skin for 2-6 minutes.)

And there you have it, five quick, easy, and, most importantly, cheap DIY projects that you can make over break! If you’d like more ideas for fun projects that you can do, follow us on Pinterest at Her Campus Iowa and see all of the amazing ideas that we have for you!

Claire is a student at the University of Iowa studying Business Management and Entrepreneurship with a minor in Spanish and a Certificate in Sustainability. She is a self-proclaimed hippie and loves cacti and cats. Claire is low key (and by low key she means high key) OBSESSED with Vampire Diaries and anything vintage - specifically if it's high-waisted. Her future goals include owning a sustainable company and backpacking across Ireland. Join Claire as she brings you on her journey through the cornfields of Iowa ;)
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.