Disney Channel Original Halloween Movies Ranked

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Halloween is days away, which means it’s time to bring on the Disney Halloween movies! Nothing is better than curling up with a cozy blanket, lighting a seasonal scented candle, putting those Pillsbury pumpkin sugar cookies in the oven and watching a bomb-ass Disney Halloween movie! If you can’t watch them all like you could when you were younger because you’re too busy #adulting, here’s a ranking of the top 5 Disney Halloween movies you need to nostalgically re-watch before November 1st:

1. Halloweentown

This is a no brainer. The original Halloweentown made any Halloween lover as a child fantasize about a world full of magic and spells, pumpkin heads and goblins roaming around and skeleton taxi drivers all while watching Marnie, a bad ass 13-year-old-witch save the town with the grandmother figure you always envied (RIP Debbie Reynolds).

2. Hocus Pocus

Am I the only one that didn’t realize that Sarah Jessica Parker was the blonde Sanderson sister?! Any who, this flick about the Salem witches resurrecting on Halloween is a fan favorite. It’s incredible that Max, the main character (who was kinda cute), and his little sister not only had to deal with the pressures that came with being the new kids on the block, but also had to deal with a bunch of scary satanic debauchery, too!? At that point I’d just give up on life and let those crazy witches eat me.

3. Twitches

Anything that has to do with the Mowry sisters I am biased towards. Their Twitches movie was an interesting spin on a movie about twins getting separated at birth only to reunite years later by randomly running into one another and discover they have ~magical~ powers. Of course it comes with a catch: the two can’t enjoy their reunion because the Darkness that killed their dad in the immortal world of Coventry, which got them separated in the first place, is back out to get them. While the movie was a little wacky, you still looked forward to watching it growing up with your best friend and debate the whole movie who was more like Alex, the edgy writer, or Camryn, the sweet and sensitive artist.

4. Mom’s Got a Date with a Vampire

This was a classic case of siblings all having something fun planned but were grounded, so they connive on setting up their single mom on date, only to have it backfire on them. The mom is lusted to go on a date with a vampire who she bumps into at a supermarket (who comes up with these Disney Halloween plots?), and the rest goes down hill from there. The movie is cute because of their family bond and the predictability of it all, but if that were my mom, I’d be grounded for life.

5. Don’t Look Under the Bed

The rating for this horror film was PG when most of Disney’s movies are G… that’s when you know shit’s going to get real — and it did. I don’t know what was creepier, the fact that Larry Houdini could only been seen by children because he was imaginary or the fact that a Boogeyman was crawling out from under a young girl’s bed. Either way you had nightmares and still do whenever you watch this movie… but I guess that’s the point of a Halloween movie, right?

Choose one or choose them all, but don’t go this Halloween season without reliving your childhood memories. Thanks, Disney!

Photos: cover, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Alyssa Pozen

U Iowa '19

Editor-in-Chief for U Iowa Her Campus. Senior at the University of Iowa studying Journalism and Mass Communication and earning a certificate in Entrepreneurial Management. Obsessed with meme culture, entrepreneurial podcasts and the Real Housewives franchise.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.