Dear Procrastination, We Need to Talk

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Dear Procrastination,

I can’t imagine a world without you. Seriously, I’ve tried. Time and time again, I’m amazed at just how fast you can get me to put down the homework and turn on the same season of Parks and Rec I’ve seen at least five times. I try to stay strong but anything sounds better than practice problems.

Person pointing remote at a TV that is displaying Netflix
freestocks.org

“Start it tomorrow.” 

“I still have time.”

“Just five more minutes.”

I mean who can blame me when you say it like that? Time in your mind does not exist and the longer I am under your spell I start to believe it too. My false sense of hope that I can get it done later ultimately brings me more anxiety . One week turns into one day, which turns into one hour. And then I’m scrambing last minute trying to meet a deadline. After that, the only thing I want to do is get some sleep. But even that’s asking for too much. I complain about my lack of sleep, but my fingers tap tap tap away — scrolling, snapping, sharing. 

person holding iphone outside
Photo by Paul Hanaoka from Unsplash

I know, I know. It’s my fault for listening to you. All you want is to help. To ease the stresses of everyday life, knowing I’m being buried alive in overcommitments. That’s what happens when you stretch yourself too thin. I know you have good intentions, seeing beyond the strong exterior I put out.  

“Take a break. You need it.” 

Procrastination, I am thankful for you. There have been times where I’ve performed better under your watch. My work ethic is nothing short of determined, and your challenges have trained me to be calm during the storm. I’ve been complimented on my quick wit and adaptability, which I’ve learned from those 2 a.m. cram sessions.

Person Writing in Notebook
Pexels

Look, I’ve gone a majority of my life trying to fight you, to blame you, to get rid of you. But let’s face it you’re going to be here whether I like it or not. I can live with being frenemies. With that being said, I only have one request. 

Just be a pal and don’t ruin the most important and precious things in my life!

(That’s a threat.)

Your favorite gal,

Rachel

Rachel is the Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Iowa, and has been in HC Iowa since the beginning of her freshman year. She is a senior at the University of Iowa and is pursing a degree in Journalism and Mass Communication with a certificate in Entrepreneurial Management. Rachel wants to work in digital marketing and graphic design for a beauty, fashion and lifestyle brand in a big city.