Cute and Creative Christmas Decor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Looking for a cute way to decorate this holiday season without making your dorm or apartment look like mom’s? Try some of these cute ideas! Most of the materials are not only fun and creative, but pretty cheap as well!

Beer Bottle Christmas Tree

Whether you want to use green bottles such as Heinekin or Stella, or an array of multiple different bottles, this festive tree will take quite a few to make.  Have a few friends over, play a few games and drink away (responsibly of course!) By the end of the night, you should have plenty of materials to make your tree. When putting the bottles together, make sure to use something such as sticky tack or clear packing tape to hold everything together.

Decorative Mantel or Window

This decor will definitely spice up a room for the holiday season. All you need is some leftover ornaments that didn’t all fit on your tree. Simply attach string in the hole and hang it up on something such as a window or a mantel if your place has one. You can try making the ribbons different lengths and putting lights or more ribbon at the top to change things up. 

A Tinsel Tree

Sometimes it can be hard to find room in your small apartment or dorm room for a Christmas tree.  Trees can also be pretty pricey at the store and live ones are such a mess.  Try making a tree on your wall instead! Grab some festive tinsel or ribbon and zigzag it across the wall in the shape of a tree.  Tape some cute ornaments or pictures on it and you have a one of a kind tree that will definitely catch the eyes of visitors.

Decorative Door

Don’t forget about the first thing that people will see when they come over…your door! If you live in an apartment something this creative might be a little trickier with the elements and rowdy neighbors, but dorm rooms can be full of competive doors this time of year. Get together with your roommate and think of a cute theme that you want to inact with your door. Whether you cover it in wrapping paper, homemade snowflakes or go all out and create a massive snowman, your door will be sure to put people in the Christmas spirit!

She is a senior at the University of Iowa majoring in Journalism with a minor in English. On top of being a campus correspondent for Her Campus, Adrian is also a brand ambassador for Quad, a communications intern for Pearson and the marketing director of Iowa's Ed On Campus chapter. When she isn't rereading Harry Potter for the hundredth time, Adrian is playing with her English Bulldog, Stella, or looking at pictures of French Bulldogs on Pinterest. She hopes to someday move into a bigger apartment that can accommodate many pets, write the next greatest novel that will take the world by storm, and be a contributing editor or EIC of a major publication or publishing house.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.