COSTUME SERIES: Last-Minute Costumes You Already Have in Your Closet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

There’s already enough to worry about at this time of the year without having to figure out what to be for Halloween. If it’s a last minute costume you need, look no further than your own closet. These costumes aren’t only cute and easy to create, but are cheap, too. 

Rosie the Riveter

What you need: a red bandana, combat boots, black jeans or leggings and a denim or chambray shirt. Pair with a “we can do it” attitude, and you’re set to hit the town.

Where’s Waldo?

What you need: a red and white striped shirt, a red or white hat, blue jeans and black glasses. For those who want to go all out, Waldo carries a cane and a brown bag.

Burglar

What you need: A black and white striped shirt or a gray and white striped shirt, black pants, black combat boots and a black beanie. Add accessories like a mask, gloves and a money bag.

Wednesday Addams

What you need: A black dress (preferably with a white collar, but it’s not necessary), black tights or knee socks and black shoes. Just add cynicism and pigtail braids.

Scarecrow

What you need: A plaid shirt, jeans or overalls, a floppy hat or straw hat and brown boots. 

Hippie

What you need: Bell bottoms, a flower crown, a flowy shirt and fringe boots or gladiators. Flash a peace sign, and you’re ready to go.

Black Cat

What you need: Black leggings or jeans, a black top and black shoes. Easily draw on a nose and whiskers with eyeliner to complete the look.

Mary Poppins

What you need: A black skirt, a white button-up shirt, a black bowler hat, black tights and black heels.

Sandy (from the movie Grease)

What you need: Black pants, red heels and a black top. If you can find your own Danny Zuko, bonus points to you!

Rachel Green is a senior Journalism and Mass Communication Major at the University of Iowa. She is also earning two minors in Sport and Recreation Management and Spanish and a certificate in Creative Writing. She serves at Her Campus Iowa's Senior Editor, and is a member of Iowa's editorial team. When she's not working on something for Her Campus, she can be found studying in the library, doodling in her sketchbooks or curling up with a cup of tea and a book.  
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.