Confessions of a Cosmo-Holic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Hi, my name is Isabella and I’m a Cosmo-holic.

“Hi, Isabella,” so respondeth my readers.

They say the first step on the road to recovery is admitting you have a problem. So, here it goes… I’m addicted to Cosmopolitan. But, is it really a problem? Addiction is commonly defined as being “enthusiastically devoted to a particular thing or activity,” and I am undeniably enthusiastic and undoubtedly devoted to Cosmopolitan. But why shouldn’t I be?

Cosmopolitan magazine is the first place I search for any online advice. It’s the one-stop-advice shop on topics ranging from health, relationships, lifestyle, beauty and fashion. Why would I use another source when everything is there? If I submit a question to Google, the odds are slim that a Cosmo article won’t appear to answer your question. Want to throw a party? Chill. There’s an article for that. Need to get my finances in order? Perfect. They’ve got an article for me. Need advice on my latest relationship crisis? Great. Cosmo has something for that too. Cosmo is the (incredibly classy) shopping mall of online magazines: they have everything I could every want all in one place. I’m not going to run around town grabbing a few groceries from one small store and another small shop when I could pick up all my staples at one conveniently located megastore. Thanks, but no thanks.

Cosmopolitan shares all the important news. So instead of being a person who follows approximately 20 social media accounts and is still grabbling to gather all the breaking news, I’ll be a cosmo-holic and hear about LITERALLY ALL of the important happenings, and my news feed won’t be clogged up. From headlines about New York Fashion Week to news about politics, Cosmo has it.

Another great thing about Cosmopolitan is that they are not biased. If they write an article expressing one opinion, I’m almost guaranteed a follow up article expressing the exact opposite sentiments. Which is awesome, especially if I’m trying to form my own opinions about said topic. Secondly, their articles are reliable. These days, words from people as uninformed as YouTube vloggers can be spread around the internet like wild fire and marketed as truth. None of those shenanigans fly with Cosmo. Also, if an article is posted, and it’s the author’s personal opinions rather than unobjectionable fact, they let me know! If they write about it, their sources are cited, and their information is gathered from primary or other very reliable sources. So this way I know the information I’m receiving is more than likely true, which is such a rarity these days.

Women’s issues are #1 with Cosmo. Always, Cosmo’s online magazine is supporting women and their empowerment through articles. On Cosmo, you can read about early warning signs of a potentially abusive partner, how to get out of an abusive situation, and how to tell if you’re in an abusive situation. Wow, really important if you ask me. Cosmopolitan also respects diversity in women’s bodies and life experiences. So praise Cosmo for its blatantly feminist articles!

Hi, I’m Isabella, and I’m a cosmo-holic. But I don’t need help, I’m proud of my addiction. 

Isabella is a student at the University of Iowa majoring in both Psychology and Gender, Women, & Sexuality Studies with a minor in Human Relations. She is a self proclaimed cheesecake enthusiast, flower child, and feminist. Isabella is low key obsessed with Cosmo and one of her life's ambitions is to have an article published by their online magazine. If she were a Sex & The City character she would be Miranda, because not everyone can be Carrie.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.