This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

I love office hours. I learn best by talking things out and asking questions, so office hours are a great opportunity for me to learn material and study to the best of my ability. I also think it’s really important to develop a personal connection with your professors, as you never know what they can do for you later on. They may sponsor you for your honors final project, act as a mentor, or connect you with professionals in a field you are interested in. You’re also putting a face to a name for them and that could be really helpful for you in the long run.

Last week, I attended office hours for a class that I have been struggling in. I have been there a few times before, but since the class has over 100 students, I didn’t expect the professor to know my name. She did and told me that I was one of the only students that has attended her office hours this semester. WHAT?! I was appalled that people aren’t taking advantage of such a great service. These professionals are taking time out of their day to meet with us and answer our questions. I totally understand that professors can be intimidating, but they just want to help us be better students and succeed in their class. So in case you’re scared of attending office hours, I have created a handy little guide for you to refer to. Here is the collegiette’s to attending office hours.

1. Come prepared. I like to write down a few specific questions I want to ask. When you’re prepared, it shows that you’ve already been putting in the work and aren’t just asking for answers.

2. Go early. Usually, professors have office hours for an hour or two. If you can, try to go right when they begin. That way, you’ll be the first one there and won’t have to worry about waiting for other students to finish.

3. Be respectful. This should be a given, but I have a feeling it’s not for some people. Keep in mind that they are taking time out of their busy days to meet with you and that it is a privilege, not a right. Make sure to thank them afterwards and respect their time.

4. Pop in a mint. You’re most likely going to be sitting very close to them and going over whatever problems, paper or exam that you are discussing. Just as much as you hope they have good breath, they’re hoping the same for you. Do all parties a favor and pop in a mint or piece of gum (remember to not be obnoxious about chewing it, though!).

5. Ask about exam questions. Chances are, you got some things wrong on the last exam you took. If you don’t understand what you got wrong or how to do the problem, ask! If you don’t ask, you’ll never know. It also shows them that you want to improve your future scores, which can be super helpful later on in the semester.

6. Don’t whine. This kind of goes off of the whole being respectful thing, but no matter how much you don’t understand something, don’t whine about it. Please. If you listen to only one thing from this article it should be this. I don’t think there’s anything more than whining. Calmly explain what you don’t understand and highlight the things you do. Your professor will be very appreciative.

7. Go consistently. This is very optional, but if you want your professor to know you and your face, attend office hours frequently. As in maybe once a month. Or every two weeks. Whatever works for you. After a few visits, they will learn your name and be able to think about the actual person whose work they’re grading, not just the name and student ID number.

Professors really aren’t that scary, I promise. Most of them chose the career that they did because they enjoy working with young people like us. They get their energy from our young and vibrant energy. So go in and talk to them. You never know where it may lead you, whether it be to a mentorship or just some studying tips for the next exam. But if you don’t go in the first place, then you’ll never know.

Carly is a freshman majoring in Journalism with hopes of someday becoming the boss of the world. She grew up in Saint Paul, MN and left her heart there when she went to school 300 miles away in Iowa City. In her free time she enjoys blogging, eating good food, and being outdoors.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.