Celebrity Update: Lindsay Lohan hosts SNL

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

She’s baaack.

After a six-year break, it appears the once party-crazed actress, Lindsay Lohan, is tired of her bad girl ways and ready to get serious again. On March 3, Lohan, 25, made her highly anticipated return to Saturday Night Live, hosting the show for the fourth time.

Her performance included mocking her personal shenanigans that have occurred since her last SNL appearance. She made hilarious comments about an alarm going off when she tried to leave the stage saying, “Wait, so the alarm goes off if I leave the stage? I thought it was only when I left the studio…I thought you guys trusted me.”

Lohan also made fun of herself when Bridesmaids star, Kristen WIlg gave her a full body pat down and said she was doing it because she was a lesbian now. Lohan responded saying, “been there done that.”

Lohan, who has had many legal woes in the past few years, was able to not only take jabs at herself, but also was able to make the most of it and put on a great performance. The show brought in the time slot’s highest ratings of the season.

Reaction on Twitter was less flattering than the “SNL” studio audience though, who seemed supportive of Lohan’s self-deprecating turn as the good sport.

“This may be the first time Lindsay Lohan had trouble doing lines #SNL,” @drunkenough tweeted.

But Alec Baldwin (@alecbaldwin), who holds the record for most frequent host of “SNL”, came to her defense tweeting, “I think the time for bashing Lindsay Lohan has passed.”

And sports writer Beau Dure, (@duresport) tweeted, “People dissing Lindsay Lohan’s SNL performance on Twitter are just cynics hoping she’ll fail. She did fine. Great show.”

Lohan was later spotted leaving the show’s after party. When “SNL” cast member Seth Meyers was asked about Lohan’s performance he said: “She did great.”

It was a sharp contrast to the last four years, when she’s been in and out of rehab, court and jail.

The week before Lohan’s performance she spoke with “Today” host Matt Lauer about her past regrets.

“I regret the choices that I’ve made, but I’m grateful for where I am today, because of them,” she said. “I don’t need to see any more negative stuff. I don’t need to put myself in those places anymore.”

It seems like Lindsay Lohan may be growing up after all. 

Sources:

The Clicker via MSNBC

E! Online

People.com

NBC.com via Saturday Night Live

E! Online SNL

ABCNews.go.com

Emily is a junior at the University of Iowa and is studying Journalism and Pre-Law with a minor in Health Communication. She has been a part of the Her Campus University of Iowa team since it was founded in 2010 and is a member of Ed on Campus. She has grown to love magazine writing and editing and if she somehow can't land her dream job (to be Carrie Bradshaw), she wouldn't mind settling for a job in the magazine industry. If nothing else, she hopes to attend law school somewhere in the Bay Area out West, her favorite place to be. Since the age of 15, Emily spent her summers in California, doing internships and falling in love with San Francisco. Some of her other interests include her 4-month-old longhaired wiener dog Henry, blogging, celebrity gossip, sushi, Private Practice, fro-yo, being a journalism nerd, and anything involving good conversation with good people. Although she's not exactly sure of her plans for the future, she knows journalism will somehow be the driving force in her career.