Celebrity Update: Giuliana and Bill Rancic Expecting Their First Child!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

If you’ve ever watched the E! Special on Giuliana Rancic you would know this woman has a hard backbone and a work ethic unlike anyone else.

After a tough year of going through breast cancer treatments and finding out she couldn’t get pregnant Rancic was up for some good luck and that is exactly what she got.

Bill Rancic, Giuliana’s husband got it right when he told Ann Curry on Today earlier this month, “I think this is going to be our year. I have a good feeling 2012 is the year of the Rancics.”

On April 23 Guiliana and Bill appeared on The View to announce the great news and talk about what it was like to finally hear they’re expecting via gestational surrogate!

“Oh my god, it’s just shocking,” Rancic, 37, said. “It was very emotional. It was pretty much one of the best moments of my life if not the best moment of my life.”

Bill added, “It was pretty emotional. This was our last effort.”

In a commercial for an upcoming episode on the couple’s reality show, Giuliana & Bill we see a clip showing Giuliana and Bill finding out they are expecting. Giuliana immediately breaks down in tears when their fertility doctor and surrogate call to tell them their pregnancy test is “100 percent positive.” They are expecting sometime this summer.

According to Hollywood Life the couple underwent multiple failed rounds of IVF treatments and a miscarriage before Giuliana discovered she had breast cancer in September 2011, after undergoing a routine mammogram as part of her fertility treatments. This nightmare however might have saved her life.

“Had I not gone through IVF, had I not had this struggle, I never would have discovered I had breast cancer,” she told the ladies of The View. “Had I gotten pregnant naturally and easily, it would have actually accelerated the cancer.”

After a double mastectomy to remove the cancer in December 2011, Rancic is now on medication and her health is great.

The woman who will be the surrogate, lives out of state, but Giuliana and Bill plan to be there for all her doctor visits.

Guiliana Rancic told E! News, “We are so thrilled that our prayers have been answered.” Bill Rancic added, “We are absolutely ecstatic to be sharing this with everyone who has been following our journey.”

The couple is keeping the baby’s sex a secret however. They don’t want to tell anyone yet, Guiliana said.

We couldn’t be happier for Giuliana and Bill! Their little one is going to be one lucky baby and the Rancics will make great parents! Congratulations, you guys you deserve it!

Sources: 

Emily is a junior at the University of Iowa and is studying Journalism and Pre-Law with a minor in Health Communication. She has been a part of the Her Campus University of Iowa team since it was founded in 2010 and is a member of Ed on Campus. She has grown to love magazine writing and editing and if she somehow can't land her dream job (to be Carrie Bradshaw), she wouldn't mind settling for a job in the magazine industry. If nothing else, she hopes to attend law school somewhere in the Bay Area out West, her favorite place to be. Since the age of 15, Emily spent her summers in California, doing internships and falling in love with San Francisco. Some of her other interests include her 4-month-old longhaired wiener dog Henry, blogging, celebrity gossip, sushi, Private Practice, fro-yo, being a journalism nerd, and anything involving good conversation with good people. Although she's not exactly sure of her plans for the future, she knows journalism will somehow be the driving force in her career.