Celebrity Update: Amanda Bynes Arrested for DUI

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

The “All That” actress, Amanda Bynes went from child star to jailbird in Hollywood this past Friday night in the early morning hours.

Bynes, 26, was arrested around 3 a.m. for a DUI after swiping a cop car with her black BMW, according to New York Daily News.

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ, “Bynes was attempting to pass a cop car in her black BMW…when she sideswiped the right rear panel of the vehicle. She was pulled over and cops determined she was not fit be behind the wheel.”

Bynes has been spotted frequently visiting the Hollywood party scene, hitting up several clubs over the past few weeks.

There have been several concerns lately whether Bynes was fit to drive after a night of partying, including St. Patrick’s Day. According to TMZ, cameras saw Bynes leaving Greystone manor, and thought she appeared to be extremely intoxicated. One of the camera crew men warned the valet not to let Amanda drive, but she got into the driver’s seat anyways and took off.

A week before that, Amanda took off while a cop was trying to write her a ticket. She was pulled over for talking on a cell phone while driving and as the cop was writing her up, she drove away.

Later, Amanda went to the police station and signed the ticket. Currently she hasn’t faced additional charges stemming from the incident.

Bynes was held on $5,000 bail until around 10:30am when she was released, TMZ confirms.

The police put out a statement saying, “There was minor paint transfer damage to both vehicles, however no one was injured. Amanda Bynes was subsequently arrested for driving under the influence and booked at West Hollywood’s Sheriff’s Station.”

The actress has recently fallen off the radar when it comes to public appearances and TV/movie work and recently she tweeted she is going to retire.

“Being an actress isn’t as fun as it may seem.” She wrote. “If I don’t love something anymore, I stop doing it. I don’t love acting anymore, so I’ve stopped doing it,” Bynes said.

However a month later she tweeted, “I’ve unretired.”

Sorry Amanda, but you may not be getting any roles other than as a criminal if you keep up your wild partying ways.

Sources:

MSN.com

All Voices

People.com

TMZ

HufftingtonPost

NY Daily News

Emily is a junior at the University of Iowa and is studying Journalism and Pre-Law with a minor in Health Communication. She has been a part of the Her Campus University of Iowa team since it was founded in 2010 and is a member of Ed on Campus. She has grown to love magazine writing and editing and if she somehow can't land her dream job (to be Carrie Bradshaw), she wouldn't mind settling for a job in the magazine industry. If nothing else, she hopes to attend law school somewhere in the Bay Area out West, her favorite place to be. Since the age of 15, Emily spent her summers in California, doing internships and falling in love with San Francisco. Some of her other interests include her 4-month-old longhaired wiener dog Henry, blogging, celebrity gossip, sushi, Private Practice, fro-yo, being a journalism nerd, and anything involving good conversation with good people. Although she's not exactly sure of her plans for the future, she knows journalism will somehow be the driving force in her career.