This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Alex Kluver is one hyped, fun, energetic and creative guy! When not using his impressive brain to study for his major, Civil Engineering, Alex is drumming his heart away in the U of I Marching Band. He is also a Morale Captain for Dance Marathon. Alex is from Crystal Lake, Illinois, but has always been a Hawkeye by blood, as both of his parents came to the University of Iowa. With the Hawkeyes’ success this season, it must be pretty crazy being on drumline!

How long have you been playing the drums?

I started drumming in 5th grade, so I’ve been playing for ten years now.

What is your favorite drum to play?  

I play the snare drum in the Hawkeye Drumline, but I think my favorite drum to play is the djembe, which is an African hand drum.

Why did you audition for U of I drumline?

I was in drumline for all four years of high school, and I knew it was something I wanted to continue in college. With Iowa being the only school I’ve had my mind on since 5th grade, it only made sense to try out for Iowa’s drumline. My brother may have played a little bit of an influence as well, since he had also been in the drumline since his freshman year.

What work goes in to being on drumline?

Over the summer we have a few optional clinics that can help build chops and learn cadences. The week before school starts is called “Hell Week.” It’s when the entire band practices from 9 a.m. – 9 p.m. Monday through Saturday. During the football season, though, we have rehearsal Tuesday through Thursday from 3:30-5:30 with an additional rehearsal on Tuesday nights and Fridays during a game week. It adds up to about 13-18 hours per week, depending on if there is a game or not. In addition to that, we also hold a few sub-sectionals outside of rehearsal if we need extra time to memorize a piece or just to build chops.

What other musical groups are you in outside of drumline?

Usually during the spring semester I am in the Steelband here at the University of Iowa. If you don’t know what instruments are in a steelband, think tropical music that you’d hear on a beach, and you’re probably thinking of the right instrument. During my freshman year, I was also a part of the Newman Singers at the Newman Catholic Student Center on campus. I was the drummer for the singers, and I would perform at masses and at a few tours throughout the year. It was really fun because it gave me a glimpse of what it’s like to tour as a musician.

Which performance has been your favorite since joining drumline?

The Pittsburgh game was one of my favorites. I don’t remember what we played during the halftime show, but whenever you get to play the Victory Polka at a game as amazing as that one, it’s really hard to forget! My favorite halftime show, though, would probably be the first one I ever played freshman year. It was a pop show, so we played arrangements of recently popular songs, and the fact that it was my first show as a Hawkeye also holds a lot of value.

What advice would you give to those wanting to join U of I drumline/marching band?

Practice, practice, practice! You hear it all the time, but even spending just fifteen extra minutes practicing will make you that much better. Also, ignore the people that tell you to stop tapping your feet, fingers, etc. because even tapping helps with memorization.

If you could play any other instrument, what would it be?

I’ve always wanted to played guitar, but my fingers don’t really work that way I guess haha. I’ve always been a little jealous of people who can instantly play a song on guitar just by looking up the chords for that song

What is your favorite drumline memory?

The post-season trips are definitely some of my greatest memories. Any time you get to travel across the country with people that are there for the same reason as you, you’re going to have an amazing time. Although, my most vivid memory would probably be the first game I ever played. It’s common among marching band members to never forget the first time the marched into a deafening Kinnick stadium. The atmosphere is unreal, no matter who we’re playing. My first game was actually so hot that the marching band wore our gold polos and khaki shorts instead of the full uniform. I was sweating so much during our pregame show in the rec building that there was a puddle of sweat beneath me. Go Hawks.

Is there anything you wish other students knew about marching band?

Marching band is full of some of the most passionate Hawkeye fans in the world. Sometimes I see people getting annoyed by our obnoxious cheers, which sometimes I can understand, but we do it out of the love of the Hawks. They’re also some of the nicest people I’ve ever met. They’ve become somewhat of a second family to me. It’s really easy to see if you just give marching band members a chance. And yes, they do party as hard as everyone says.

Will you continue to drum after you graduate?

I want to, but I don’t know if I’ll do it as a group again. More of a freelance type thing, I guess. Although, I could go back to my home in Crystal Lake, Illinois, and drum with the Crystal Lake Strikers. It’s a community drumline started by a group of friends that wanted to keep drumming after they graduated. I actually drummed with them a little bit when I was in high school, and it was a really fun time! But I don’t think I’ll ever stop tapping, so I guess I really will keep it up after graduation!

Gracey is a Sophomore at the University of Iowa studying Journalism and Theater. In her spare time, she likes to settle down with a good book and a cup of Earl Gray tea. She aspires to one day be as brilliant and quirky as her idol: Zooey Deschanel.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.