Calling All Coffee Cravers: Best Places to Grab That Early Morning Joe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

I have definitely had a coffee addiction since sophomore year of high school, so I worship coffee to say the least. Despite having the ability to always have a cup in my hand, I really do try to limit myself to one cup per day, but life happens and I end up drinking an extra cup. Or two. 

My love for coffee forces me to go to the most accessible and cheap place in the mornings, which just so happens to be the Dunkin’ Donuts next to Iowa Book. Classes at 8 a.m. are tough, but they’re a little bit better when I have an iced coffee in my hand.

Ignoring my half-asleep coffee choice from a chain location, downtown Iowa City has a lot to offer in terms of local caffeine suppliers. It has been a personal mission of mine to try the iced coffee from all these different coffee shops because who cares about caffeine related health problems when you’re drinking something that tastes so good?

The location that has stood out to me the most in terms of coffee quality has been the cafe in Prairie Lights. I ordered my go-to order, caramel iced coffee with cream, and I was seriously blown away. I was handed a black iced coffee with caramel from the server, so I took a sip in order to create space to add cream, but I genuinely could have drank my coffee without adding cream, it was that good. 

I paid $2.25 for my coffee at Prairie Lights and an additional $0.65 for the caramel in my drink. I am willing to pay any price for a cup of joe, but I had no problem paying this fee. It all goes toward the bookstore below, which also creates a perfect ambiance to study and enjoy your drink.

Other places that I visit more than I should includes High Ground Cafe (which has quality food that matches the quality coffee0 and Java House (conveniently located in the IMU for all your on-campus struggles that could use a cup of coffee).

I asked some fellow Hawkeyes where they prefer to get a cup of coffee and I got a few great other places that I need to check out. I was recommended Cortado more than anything else. It is located right across the street from the Pentacrest, so it’s very convenient to run over there in between classes, or to walk over and stay there for a while to work on homework.

Another notable location that stood out to me was Poindexter Coffee, which is located in the Graduate Hotel.  Poindexter, located a bit of a further walk into Iowa City, has such a wonderful atmosphere and a really cool vibe, especially with the pencils that make up the walls. 

No matter where you decide to get your coffee from, whether that be a chain, a local place, or both, caffeine is caffeine, and it sure does keep the world going.

Image Credit: 1, 2

Molly is double majoring Journalism and Mass Communications and Political Science. She loves FaceTiming with her cat, drinking multiple cups of coffee a day, and saving the environment!
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.