Blac Chyna Legally Cannot Become A Kardashian

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

It is no secret that the Kardashian family has built an empire. From television shows to modeling to emojis, there are is no limit to what this family will do to grow their success. Except bring in another family member.

Angela Renee White, Blac Chyna’s legal name, who gave birth to her and Rob Kardashian’s daughter just a few weeks ago, will face legal ramifications if she tries to take the Kardshian name. Blac Chyna wants to legally change her name to Angela Renee Kardashian; however, the three eldest daughters—Kourtney, Kim and Khloe—are trying to block her from doing so. The sisters, and matriarch Kris Jenner, insist this power move isn’t to spite Blac Chyna; it’s literally just a legal requirement in their corporation contracts.  

The Kardashian sisters each have their own corporations: Klomoney, Inc, 2Die4Kourt and Kimsaprincess. Yes, those are the names of their brands. Within their own contracts, they trademarked their last name. With Blac Chyna’s stripper past, some critics are saying the Kardashian women want to keep Blac Chyna far from their last name. 

However, the Kardashian sisters told Blac Chyna that it was nothing personal; their lawyers were just doing their job in blocking her trademark application. Even without any bad blood, Blac Chyna’s application has yet to be approved. The Kardashians’ lawyers stated that Blac Chyna’s use of the name could “cause confusion” or “decieve consumers.”

We may not have seen much of Kim Kardashian lately, but she and her sisters’ mobile applications, social media accounts and appearances are worth millions. They have built quite an empire around their last name; it makes sense that they are trying to protect it, even from their future family member. 

Cover Image

University of Iowa sophomore majoring in Journalism and Engaged Social Innovation. Member of Alpha Chi Omega sorority. Hospitality newbie. Reader, writer, and wanderluster. At least that's what I want my business card to say.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.