Best Study Spots On & Near Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

The weather is getting warmer, and the sun shines nearly every day. And it’s time to study for finals. But wait! You don’t have to study indoors! In fact, what are you even doing there? Come outside and study. Our campus is full of great locations to study outdoors, and so is Iowa City.

My all-time favorite place to study outdoors is, of course, the Pentacrest. It’s within easy walking distance of both the east and west sides of campus, and it’s beautiful. On any given day in spring, its grass is dotted with students working by themselves or in groups of twos and threes. Personally, I prefer the northeast and northwest quadrants of the lawn – on either side of Macbride Hall or Jessup Hall, respectively.

Jill Swanson, a freshman here at Iowa, agrees. She likes the part of the Pentacrest closest to the river because it’s shady and relatively quiet. “There’s less chance of getting hit by a Frisbee, too,” she adds. “Also, dogs.”

The Pentacrest is actually only her second favorite spot, though. She loves the terrace behind the Iowa Memorial Union because it’s right next to the river. The proximity to food and bathrooms in the IMU helps too. And once again, you’re unlikely to be hit by a stray Frisbee in this location.

If food is a necessity for your study sessions, consider studying in the Ped Mall! It’s noisy there, but if you can’t stand to be alone with only your thoughts for company, it’s a nice change of pace. Get some ice cream or a coffee, find a table and settle in for the afternoon.

I asked freshman Addie Zwick what her favorite study spot is and she replied that it is on the east bank of the Iowa river, behind the President’s house.

She says, “The cliffside is dappled with New England bluebells and the 5 o’clock sun creates the perfect studying ambience. I like to bring a blanket with me and sit on a swell by the riverbank, backed by the cliff and the bluebells. Sometimes I do actual homework there, but often I’ll just bring a book and my journal and write or read because I find I can focus better, and my thoughts flow more freely when I’m in a beautiful setting.”

If you find yourself getting stuck in a rut of studying indoors, it’s time to change up your routine! Our campus is beautiful, and we’re only minutes away from downtown Iowa City. So take advantage of all the study spots that the great outdoors has to offer! 

Elizabeth Chesak is a junior at the University of Iowa. She is triple-majoring in English & Creative Writing, Journalism, and Gender, Women’s, & Sexuality Studies to prepare for her hybrid dream job of picture book author/National Geographic photojournalist/activist. When not in class, studying, or sleeping, she can usually be found befriending the neighborhood cats.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.