Being the Single Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

If the majority of the texts you got today were from your group chat of girl friends, the last romantic connection you had was with a piece of pizza, and you find yourself living vicariously through relationship drama that isn’t even yours, you’re probably the single friend of your group right now. As something almost everyone goes through in college, that time period of being single while most of your friends have boyfriends is a rollercoaster of ups and downs.

The negatives:

Date night (Aka the worst night of the week)

This is the night when you ask every friend you have to hangout, and they all respond saying they have a study date, dinner date, or even just a “we’re staying in and watching Netflix” date. Looks like you have a date with yourself.

Third wheeling

Nothing says friendship like tagging along while your BFF hangs out with her boyfriend. Hopefully you’re cool with subtle PDA and not knowing when or how to jump into a conversation that solely consists of flirting. Super fun!

Girls night just isn’t the same

All you wanted was a fun night out with your girls, but your friends don’t feel like doing the things you did when you were all single (and ready to mingle). They’ve been texting their boyfriends all night, too, and there comes a point when dancing by yourself stops being fun.

They always tell you about their dates

There’s a reason you haven’t been watching The Bachelor and Nicholas Sparks movies lately. Romance is basically the plague, and it either grosses you out or makes you feel like you’re forever alone. You’re happy for your friends, but you’d be a lot happier if they changed the subject to something that doesn’t make you a little bit sick to your stomach.

The positives:

No drama

At least one of your friends is fighting with her boyfriend at any given time, and you’re just living in your own little bubble of singleness. Your life is currently a stress and boy free zone, and you’re living the temporary dream. 

The freedom to flirt

Although you haven’t had the best luck with guys lately, unlike all your taken friends you have the total right to be as flirty as you please. Your besties are basically auctioning you off, anyway, so you might as well take advantage of it.

Being set up with their boyfriends’ friends

They’ve already only heard good things about you from your friend and her boyfriend, who are obviously just looking for double date opportunities, so all you really have to do is show up and be the fabulous individual you are. What’s not to like?

U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.