The Back Porch Revival Takes Kinnick

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Dallas Clark and Ashton Kutcher are both considered a pride and joy of Iowa. Clark, a former NFL player, and Kutcher, an actor and producer, both attended the University of Iowa. Last year, these two teamed up to create The Back Porch Revival to fund their new charitable organization, The Native Fund. The Native Fund is all about Iowans helping Iowans, and these two founders wanted to start the organization off with a huge fundraising event, which is how The Back Porch Revival came to be. An entire year in the making, The Back Porch Revival finally happened on Saturday, August 27, at Kinnick Stadium. This is the first ever concert to be held at Kinnick, and as headliner Blake Shelton said, “Thank God the first concert here was a country music concert.” The event started at 3 p.m. and lasted until 11:30 p.m. and featured seven performances from: Hunter Smith Band, David Ray, Morgan Frazier, Tucker Beathard (brother of Hawkeye Football quarterback, CJ Beathard), Big and Rich, Thomas Rhett and Blake Shelton. It was a great day of great music for a great cause. Please bring it back again next year, Dallas and Ashton!  

Sarah Nelson is senior at the University of Iowa pursuing a Journalism major, English minor, and Fundraising and Philanthropy Communication Certificate. When she's not binge-watching One Tree Hill or Jane the Virgin on Netflix (again), she's is probably rereading the Harry Potter series or writing for her blog, SarahNdipity. With an addiction to books and coffee, Sarah hopes to take the world by storm as a book editor. Or social media marketer. Or blogger. (She hasn't quite made up her mind yet, but that's okay because who says you have to be just one thing?)