This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Recently, in Iowa City, the law that forced anyone below 21 out of bars by 10 PM was reevaluated. A new bill was put forth where 21 would be changed to 19. The students of Iowa City went into chaotic excitement. The unmoved seniors were outnumbered and silenced by the hounds of freshman and sophomores and select juniors who frolicked with the idea of bar privileges. Staying past 10 PM? It was like happiness was possible again.

The students had to do one simple thing: Vote. 

It seems easy enough. Plenty of people do it. It is not hard. Even a baby can do it. Take like 11 minutes out of your day, grab a ballot, and freely fill out what you want. Not only are you expressing your rights as a democratic citizen, but you’re adding a vote to something you probably care about. It’s a win/win situation.

But, for some darn reason, some people just do not do it. Of course, there are the folks who would never consider not shoving their hopeful ballots into the box. They’re great. It’s the others. You know who you are. You stand around and make comments like “my vote doesn’t even make a difference” or “I don’t understand government” or “what exactly is a president?” And then changes are made to society and you’re confused or maybe you celebrate some victory without a clue. Either way, you made an executive decision to not cast your vote.

But seriously, why?

Firstly, it should be understood that we live in a free, democratic state that allows the public to express their opinions. What?! That’s crazy. It should also be understood that we are so very lucky to have this. Not everyone today can vote. As in, though democracies are spreading, some countries still remain unaffected by the publc’s opinion. Take advantage of our system. Seriously.

Secondly, don’t ever think your vote doesn’t matter. If every student on this entire campus decided their vote didn’t matter, where would we be then? Huh? That’s right. Nowhere. Just because you know your friend Nancy and her gang of rascally sorority girls are voting does not mean your ballot means anything less. That’s what this is. All votes are equal and all votes are important.

Lastly, if you’re a girl and not voting, shame on you. Let it be remembered that women did not have the right to vote in the US until the early 20th century. So please, girl, don’t waste that time and effort. Elizabeth Cady Stanton would be so mad at you.

To conclude, bars are fun. Voting is fun. Next time issues like this pop up, go crazy and fill in a little oval. Then maybe, in 3 years, you can put someone in office. And then go to the bar to celebrate. 

U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.