Apartment Style Pumpkins

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

We’re two weeks into the greatest month of the year! Do I dare name everything that is loved about the month of October?  It’s a proven fact that Fall clothing is the cutest. Halloween and all that comes with it such as, AMC’s Fear Fest movie marathon, costumes, and candy of course. Side note: caramel apple pops, pumpkin shaped everything, and Mars as done it again, limited edition caramel apple Milky Ways. YES! So obviously, I’m a little too obsessed with October and Autumn in general but I haven’t had the time or space to carve pumpkins in my little apartment so I bought some baby pumpkins and decided to do some decorating.

These two pumpkins took very little time and very little supplies here’s what I used:
                                                                Modge Podge
                                                                Gold Glitter
                                                                Black Acrylic Paint
                                                                Thick Black Ribbon
                                                                Sponge Paint Brush

For the sparkly one I took a foam paintbrush and brushed a thick layer of Modge Podge around the stem. Next I covered about ¾’s of the pumpkin with a thinner layer of Modge Podge. In order to get the fading effect, use less Modge Podge the further down you go. Next is the fun part, shake the glitter starting from the top and let it fall naturally down the pumpkin. The last step is optional but might save you the trouble of finding glitter everywhere after this project. When your pumpkin is covered with glitter and fully dried, take your paint brush and Modge Podge and gently dab a coat of Modge Podge over the whole pumpkin. This layer will dry clear and the glitter will still sparkle, it just won’t flake off.

This next pumpkin was super easy. All you need to use is a black acrylic paint and anything circular that you don’t mind getting paint on and polka- dot away!

Enjoy your October! <3

Gabby is a junior at the University of Iowa, working towards her double major in Communication Studies and Anthropology with a minor is Psychology. She is originally from LaSalle, Illinois and enjoys writing, traveling, and fashion.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.