Albums to Pre-Order this February and March

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

2016 is already becoming a notable year for great music and incredible new artists, and here are a few upcoming album releases you absolutely can’t miss out on! Whether you need to update your study playlist or are just listening out for something new, here are some of the most anticipated album releases and major music highlights that are happening soon.

1. Lapsley, “Long Way Home” (March 4)

Have you ever heard a song so organic and exceptional that makes you feel like you’re living in a movie? Lyrics so ethereal they send chills over your body? Say hello to your latest obsession, Lapsley. This 18-year old genius is THE coolest artist in up-and-coming alternative music. Is it the contrast of hip electronic synth effects, sophisticated lyric flow or that beautifully crisp British voice? This young artist is quite extraordinary and she’s brought something we’ve never heard before. Do yourself a favor and definitely pre-order her album!

2. The 1975, “I Like It When You Sleep, For You Are So Beautiful Yet So Unaware Of It” (February 26)

If you’re not yet familiar with the spectacular sounds behind the 1975, well prepare to be mindblown with “I Like It When You Sleep, For You Are So Beautiful Yet So Unaware Of It.” The 1975 is well known for their bold alt-pop and rock songs and then some that are too original to fit with a specific genre. Their second studio album is bound to get your attention with lead vocalist Matty Healy’s one-of-a-kind voice and innovative personality capturing the elements of growing from naivety and darkness. If you’re on a quest to find intellectually clever lyrics with original pop influences, you’ll fall in love with their sound faster than it took you to read their album title.

3. MOTHXR, “Centerfold” (February 26)

If you’re into edgy, introspective alternative, this band radiates cool vibes all around. This highly-anticipated album contains songs like “Stranger” and “She Can’t Tell,” which have all the best aspects of soul, synth and mystery. If you’re needing a MGMT-esque pick-me-up through the cold walks to class, this one’s for you. Does it feel better knowing that the lead singer’s sexy deep voice happens to be Penn Badgley? (AKA Dan Humphries from Gossip Girl). Yeah, I thought so too.. 

4. Lucius, “Good Grief” (March 11)

This sweet-sounding and shiny alternative is simply enjoyable and adorably composed. There songs just make you feel like dancing in your favorite vintage floral dress and bright lipstick due to the optimistic, old-time flair that they recreate in each song. But heads up, you won’t be able to get the cute and clever lines out of your head!

5. Birdy, “Beautiful Lies” (March 25)

Jasmine van den Bogaerde’s youthful voice cleanly captures the essence of emotion and channels heartbreak and pain through a sound that literally sounds like a fairytale. The outline of her lyrics embody pure elegance and charm, and you’ll be surprised at how composed this darling 19-year-old singer/songwriter really is. Birdy’s last two albums were more on the mellow side, but you can look forward to more pop detail in her upcoming album release.

6. Lake Street Dive, “Side Pony” (February 19)

I may be biased with my love for Lake Street Dive, but after watching a live cover they did of “Rich Girl,” by Hall and Oates a while back, I’m extremely impressed. The depth of the lead singer’s voice sounds extremely distinct and funky. It’ll remind you of the oldies hits that your parents played in the car but with a updated new twist. 

7. Gwen Stefani, “This Is What the Truth Feels Like” (March 18)

As you can expect, everyone’s gonna go B-A-N-A-N-A-S when Gwen’s album drops. With Gwen Stefani, you can always expect new sounds and upbeat pop hits, this girl delivers. Prepare to change up your workout playlist or turn it up to get pumped because this album’s expected to be fun! 

In the meantime, hope you get to have an awesome dance party featuring all kinds of new music!

*All images found on google
Hello! I'm Erin, a University of Iowa student often found doing crafty things or jamming out to alternative music. I love flowers, puns, concerts, and traveling. I've lived on the east coast and the west coast but the midwest is the best.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.