8 Taylor Swift Lyrics That Always Hit Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Taylor Swift has an incredible songwriting ability, and she has a way of saying exactly what you are feeling through her lyrics. Her lyrics paint pictures in your mind, and it is easy to imagine yourself in every scenario she is describing. I have been a huge fan of Taylor’s music ever since her first album released in 2006 when I was eight years old. As I have grown up and gained new life experiences, Taylor’s music also matured with me. Taylor’s lyrics have the power of resonating with many people because they so eloquently describe relatable life experiences. 

​1. “I’m alone, on my own, and that’s all I know. I’ll be strong, I’ll be wrong, oh, but life goes on.” -“A Place in This World”

It is inevitable to feel lost occasionally as we mature throughout life and attempt to discover our true purpose. It is impossible to avoid making mistakes as we try to figure out who we truly are and what we wish to accomplish in life. Not always having the right answers is an unavoidable part of the process of life, but it will shape and mold you into the person you are destined to be. For the time being, it is important to take a deep breath, embrace the uncertainty, and trust that there are wonderful things ahead. 

2. “Seems the only one who doesn’t see your beauty is the face in the mirror looking back at you” -“Tied Together with a Smile”

Sometimes it is hard to resist the temptation of comparing ourselves to others and feeling that we are somehow inadequate. We can become so critical and negative towards our own features that we do not realize how beautiful they are to everyone else. As tempting as it is to wish our flaws would somehow disapper, it is crucial to remember that self-love is the most important and powerful quality a person can possess and admiring the beauty of another does not dimish our own.   

3. “You take a deep breath and you walk through the doors. It’s the morning of your very first day.” -“Fifteen”

Although Taylor is specifically referencing the first day of high school, this lyric applies to all of the many “firsts” life has to offer. The fear of the unknown can entangle your mind when you begin something new, and you wonder if you will perform well during your first day on the job, or if your first day of college will be everything you’ve dreamed of. Being a beginner in anything is a scary and fragile experience, but it is also exciting and necessary to fully embrace each new journey in your life.

4. “Now I know why all the trees change in the fall. I know you were on my side even when I was wrong, and I love you for giving me your eyes and staying back and watching me shine” -“The Best Day”

There is something incredibly reassuring about the love you receive from your go-to person who will always be there to pick you up when you fall. This person supports you regardless of the circumstances, and they have the magical ability of silencing every doubt in our minds and making us burst into contagious fits of laughter. We all have and need these people in our lives, and this unwavering love is one of the best gifts life has to offer. 

5. “Minds change like the weather. I hope you remember today is never too late to be brand new” -“Innocent”

Every day the sun rises and sets, and what we chose to do with each day is completely up to us. We can spend it beating ourselves up for our past mistakes, or we can view it as a wonderful opportunity to change. Life goes on, and whatever you are going through that seems detrimental today won’t be nearly as bad tomorrow and the days that follow. You are not your mistakes, and there’s always a big, bright and beautiful tomorrow to start over again. 

6. “People throw rocks at things that shine” -“Ours”

One harsh truth about life is not everyone will agree with what you’re doing. Sometimes people want to see you doing well until you are doing better than them. It is absolutely necessary to not let negative feedback and opinions prevent you from shining your brightest and doing your thing. It is important to always hold your head high, do what you were meant to do and be assured that the right people will support you along the way.

7. “Don’t lose the way that you dance around in your PJs getting ready for school” -“Never Grow Up” 

As we grow up and gain more responsibilites, it is easy for the inner child in us to be negelcted. The enthusiasm and innocence found during moments like having a dance party in our bedrooms before school was a truly beautiful thing. The spirit of our inner child is something worth holding onto, and we are never too old to make time for what brought us so much happiness when we were young. 

8. “It’s like I’ve got this music in my mind saying it’s gonna be alright” -“Shake it Off”

With the wide variety of genres and topics, music has the power to heal. Every drum beat and chord struck has the power to move us and help us get through any situation in our lives. There is always a song that can pinpoint each feeling we experience. So put on your favorite song and dance your heart out because it’s all going to be alright!

T. Swift has a way of accurately describing situations anyone can relate to through her well thought out lyrics. I will forever treasure her lyrics and the extraordinary way she can uniquely communicate her own relatable stories to such a wide audience. 

Photos: cover, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.