8 Reasons Why You Should Never Leave Iowa

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Growing up in Iowa, I’ve always had a vision in my head that when I graduated, I was getting the hell out of here. Everywhere else seemed so much better. Every vacation I went on made me want to move farther and farther away from where I was. As a kid, it didn’t seem like the greatest place on Earth; it seemed like the one place I needed to get out of. I mean you can’t blame me; I’m sure a lot of you thought the same thing. But as I grew older and experienced more and more places, I knew that Iowa was a very special place. I knew I never wanted my kids to grow up any other place than here. So, here are eight reasons why you should NEVER leave Iowa.

1. Almost everyone is NICE.

If you’ve traveled the country, you would know that Iowa has some of the nicest people around. Trust me, you won’t find people in Los Angeles waiting for you to get to the door just so they can hold it open for you…

2. The cost of living is MUCH cheaper.

Iowa definitely has some of the best prices around the country. You can go to a nice restaurant, clothing store and movie without breaking the bank. Let’s just say, you won’t be paying a million dollars for an average apartment here.

3. We have great schools.

There is no need to worry about your child’s education while growing up in Iowa. Iowa has some of the best schools in the country, including our very own, The University of Iowa!

4. We have the Iowa State Fair!

I think this one is pretty self explanatory, but once a year for a whole week, you can see your favorite artists and eat as much fried foods as you want!

5. You get to experience all four seasons!

I don’t know about you, but one of the things I love about Iowa is how we can have a taste of all four seasons throughout the year. Don’t like hot weather? Well, fall is on its way. Don’t like the cold? Spring is just around the corner.

6. There is minimal traffic.

Wow, I can’t thing of anything worse than having to wait in traffic for hours after you get off work. Well, that isn’t a problem here. There’s less time waiting in your car and more time to experience something called LIFE.

7. We make great neighbors.

Are you new to the neighborhood? Don’t worry; our moms will be over with homemade cookies within a few days! We also have great block parties.

8. It feels like home.

There will never be a place that feels more like home than Iowa. With all the amazing, friendly people and great benefits, Iowa is a place to call home that you will never want to leave.

Natalie Lawyer is a sophomore at the University of Iowa studying Journalism. She is also a member of the Kappa Alpha Theta sorority. Her dreams are to eventually leap into the fashion world and write for a fashion magazine. In her free time she loves to make YouTube videos about fashion and lifestyle. You can check her out on YouTube at youtube.com/natalielawyer. Stay in the know and catch me on Twitter and Instagram (@natalielawyer)!
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.