7 Ways to Wear Your Favorite College T-Shirt

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

With fall in full swing, collegiate pride skyrockets to an all time high as college football teams hit the field and show what their school is made of. No one can blame you for wanting to rock your favorite college tee everywhere you go and show off that you belong to a unique (and totally awesome) institution. However the ways to wear said t-shirts always seem limited. You could go with the black leggings and sneakers, but doesn’t everybody wear that? For those of you who are looking for a stylish way to show off your school, we have got you covered. All you need to know about styling your favorite college tee is right here!

1. For the preppy tailgater…

We can all relate to the difficulty of transitioning your game day apparel from the sweltering heat of September football games to cool November football games. An easy way to stay warm and look cute is to layer a button up shirt underneath your college sweater or crewneck. Adding some jewelry, like a statement necklace, dresses up the look and gives off a preppier vibe (perfect for tailgates with your parents!).

2For the natural born fashionista…

If you’re trying to show off how trendy you are while you have the audience of a football game at hand, add a sunhat and layer a few bracelets for an easy way to kill the styling game. Doing this will make any casual game day tank look like the next big fashion statement.

3. For the laid back, sporty girl…

If you’re not in the mood to dress up and want to be comfortable, this is the perfect look for you. Pairing some sleek sneakers or Converse with skinny jeans and a jacket tied around your waist is classic and comfortable. Again, accessorizing is key to taking any casual look to the next level, so bring a stylish purse and a do something fun with your hair to add a little personalization to your outfit.

4. For the those who are comfort driven…

An all too relatable experience is that of sitting at a late November game and shivering so much that you can’t even pay attention to what’s going on on the field. Fortunately, this is an easily fixable experience, especially by pairing a jersey or t-shirt with a shawl or oversized cardigan (one in your college colors is an added bonus). Top off your outfit with an adorable knit hat, and you’ll be the cutest, as well as the coziest, fan out there.

5For date night…

If you’re looking for the perfect way to transition your favorite college t-shirt from gameday to date night, this is the look for you. Pairing a tighter tee with a silk pant and a statement necklace gives you the look of a put-together, yet proud collegiette who is completely in her element.

6. For the edgier gal…

For those of you who prefer an edgier look, fear no more, for there is an answer for you as well. Take any basic college crewneck to the next level by adding a pair of leather leggings and black booties to your outfit. Black-on-black is always in fashion, and you can even give the look a little style with a camouflage shirt and edgy statement necklace (at this point, you’ve probably caught on that I’m a fan of the basic shirt + statement necklace combo).

7. For the minimalist…

This final look is much more casual and perfect for some last minute styling. The best way to sport your favorite team (Go Hawks!) without putting in too much effort is to pair your t-shirt with a classic cardigan, jeans or jean shorts and a watch. This look is completely practical for a day of classes, a cool game or even for grabbing lunch with your friends.

With these seven looks, you can never go wrong when wearing your favorite college tee. You’ll be known for sporting your collegiate pride the most fashionably and for being the center of the attention at any tailgate. So, go out there and show em’ which team is boss (and who wears their team the best)!

Hey, I'm Emma! I’m a lover of writing as much as I am a lover of mochas, breakfast food, and all things striped. As of right now, I am a freshman at the University of Iowa, studying Journalism and Mass Communications.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.