7 Tips For Surviving Sorority Recruitment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Going through sorority recruitment is a crazy, fun, stressful but overall rewarding experience. It’s tough to prepare for such a thing when you’ve never experienced it first hand. But have no fear, sorority girl is here! Okay, so maybe I shouldn’t call myself a sorority superhero, BUT I have gone through recruitment, found my home and think I’m at least qualified enough to help you out with a few things I learned during my recruitment process. So here it is, a list of seven things I wish I knew while going through recruitment.

1. Ask chapter specific questions

Every chapter is unique and special in their own way. They all have different values, philanthropies, scholarships and leadership opportunities, so don’t be afraid to ask the girls you’re talking to about all of those things. Not only will it show your interest in that chapter, but you’ll learn important information, too!

2. Be yourself 

As cheesy as this one is, it really is a key factor of the entire process. Being yourself is what will help you find the chapter that is best for you. It can be scary going from chapter to chapter, meeting tons of women who are your prospective sisters, but know that they are just as nervous as you. Try to take deep breaths and remain as comfortable as possible. It will make the entire process that much more enjoyable.

3. Pack smart 

Bringing a small bag of goodies is a great way to go through recruitment prepared. At Iowa especially, we are notorious for getting rained out of during recruitment, so bringing a mini hairspray, hair brush, bobby pins and other things like that is a great idea for touch ups incase things get a little out of place. Also bringing a granola bar, water bottle and an umbrella is another great way to stay prepared…and fed during the longs days!

4. Talk to your Rho Gamma 

Don’t be afraid to talk to Rho Gammas about feelings of uncertainty between houses. So much is going on that it can be kinda hard to keep it to yourself. That’s what Rho Gammas are for! They are literally trained specifically to help PNMs (Potential New Members) decide which house is the best fit for them. So let them be your personal recruitment diary and pour out all your thoughts to them!

5. Don’t let others sway you

Besides your Rho Gamma, it’s really smart to keep your opinions to yourself during recruitment. Every girl has her own unique experience at each house, so even your very best friend might have a totally different opinion on the house you’re starting to fall for, and that’s ok! Understand that every house is amazing! There will be rumors about every chapter, so even if the one you like isn’t considered a “top” house don’t sweat it. There’s no such thing as a “top” house! All of the chapters are amazing with incredible girls that you’ve made genuine connections with, and if you see yourself there, then by all means go for it girl!

6. Take notes

Like I’ve mentioned a few times, recruitment can be overwhelming. A lot goes on including organized outfits, songs, chants, etc. but really try to look past the songs and pretty dresses and take note of the conversations you’re having with the women in each chapter. Do they share the same values as you? Do you see yourself being friends with the girls around you? Take notes in your recruitment notebook, or if you’re like me and you type faster than you write, make a note in your phone with a few things that will help you remember the conversations you’ve had. When it comes time to vote after every round, having these will help a TON!

7. Have fun!

Although it is overwhelming and slightly stressful, enjoy the very odd experience that is recruitment. It’s very weird going through, it’s unnatural at times, but it’s a mutual process that actually works, and after you’ve found the chapter that fits, you’ll be so happy to be home!

Whether Kappa, Pi Phi, DG or wherever it may be, once you’ve gone Greek you’ll never want to go back! HAPPY RECRUITMENT!

Hannah is the President of Her Campus Iowa and has been a member of the chapter for the last 3 years. She is a senior from the suburbs of Chicago studying Journalism and Mass Communications and is a huge reality T.V. show fan (she may or may not have secretly bought a Hulu subscription just to binge watch KUWTK...no tea, no shade). After graduating, Hannah's goal is to land a social media position at a beauty and lifestyle company so she can utilize her skills to represent their brand and expand her own knowledge and creativity. 
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.