7 Things You’ll Understand If Your Bestie Is Miles Away

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

After high school everyone goes their separate ways. Some stay behind, and others move away. It’s the challenge of making sure you make time to chat with them, and through that you find out who your true friends are. While keeping in touch can be quite hard, distance doesn’t really matter when you really want to communicate with them. There are certain things that are totally normal when it comes to talking to your best friend who’s miles away from you. 

1. Ugly selfies are in 

Snapchat is a safe place for you and your bestie. What’s better than having a close-up face off?

2. Instagram is filled with pictures of you with them

No doubt you have those days where you miss your bestie so much that you just want to show a little love. That’s probably why your Instagram is full of photos of you together. No surprise there!

3. Different time zones means longer chats

The way I see it, the conversation never stops. If you’re in different time zones, you’ll know that you guys have to text each other continually back and forth. Whether it’s about your latest crush, or how your week’s going, it keeps going! Sometimes it’s hard to get used to it, but that’s ok because it’s nice looking forward to reading the messages when you get around to seeing them. When you’re sleeping, they’ll be awake messaging you and vice versa. You’ll always be looking forward to something!

4. Urgent calls

Isn’t it a great time to be among technology? Can you imagine what it would have been like if Facetime or Skype weren’t available? The first thing you do is call when you have something urgent to tell them because words are just not enough to explain how your conversation went with your crush.  

5. Venting over texts because the one person you want to vent to isn’t in front of you

Ever felt like venting to your best friend about how much you love and appreciate them, but they’re not actually physically in front of you? And so your texts end up looking like a huge text blob? 

6. Distance makes the heart grow fonder

Even if they’re miles away, you know they’ll always be there for you, like you’ll be for them no matter what. (Even if it does mean waking up at 4 a.m. for whatever reason.) 

Ridhima Jagtap is a college newbie, a.k.a a freshman, working towards a degree in the field of journalism. You'll often find her chasing after cats and watching adorable cat videos on YouTube. If she's not doing this then she'll be singing her lungs out so that her whole floor can hear her. She hopes to blow people away with writing what she's passionate about. Books, music and a lot of animals!
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.