7 Songs From The 90’s That Are Still BOPS

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

The 90’s were a time of bleached hair, Beanie Babies and BOPS. Even though a lot of us were probably too young to appreciate the music the 90’s had to offer when it was popular, I’m here to help refresh your mind. Here is a list of some of the greatest hits that were born right around the same time as we were.

1. “Always Be My Baby” – Mariah Carey (1995) 

Mariah is one of my all-time favorite artists. Despite the whole mishap a few years back at Rockefeller Center around Christmas (if you have no clue what I’m referencing, look it up on YouTube; as cringey as it is, it’s pretty funny), she was still one of the most vocally intricate artists out there during the prime years of her career.

2. “All Star” – Smash Mouth (1999)

All Star has got to be the most “memed” song out there right now. But once you actually listen to the lyrics, it’s lowkey a pretty inspiring song. Still, if this song doesn’t make you think of Shrek then I truly don’t know what will.

3. “My Own Worst Enemy” – Lit (1999) 

“Please tell me whyyyyyyyyy” this song is not still on the radio? Funny enough, the title of this song primarily relates to me most during midterm/finals week. Still, it’s one of my favorites.

4. “Mambo No. 5 (A Little Bit of…)” – Lou Bega (1999)

For all of you out there named Monica, Erica, Rita, Tina, Sandra, Mary or Jessica, this one was specifically special for you. And as for the rest of us, well, we’ll continue to jam out to this one with you because c’mon, Lou Bega really knew how to combine jazz and pop with this one. Classic.

5. “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air” – DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince (1990)

I don’t know about you, but when this song plays I let everyone around me know that I know all—yes ALL—of the lyrics. Special shoutout to Will Smith for teaching me how to rap at a young age.

6. “MMMBop” – Hanson (1997)

This one is obviously on the list; the word “bop” is literally in the title. Even though it’s a little tough to understand what the group is saying until its notorious chorus, it’s a classic 90’s bop for sure. 

7. “Jumpin’ Jumpin’” – Destiny’s Child (1999)

Ladies, if you’re like me and you have a “getting ready to go out” playlist, ADD THIS TO IT. I can’t help but feel like a total diva when this song comes on (I mean, it is old school Beyoncé), so it’s a perfect song to listen to while you do your makeup and get ready to have a good night with your girls. 

Thank you, 90’s artists! Your tunes are still being jammed to 20 years later.

Hannah is the President of Her Campus Iowa and has been a member of the chapter for the last 3 years. She is a senior from the suburbs of Chicago studying Journalism and Mass Communications and is a huge reality T.V. show fan (she may or may not have secretly bought a Hulu subscription just to binge watch KUWTK...no tea, no shade). After graduating, Hannah's goal is to land a social media position at a beauty and lifestyle company so she can utilize her skills to represent their brand and expand her own knowledge and creativity. 
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.