6 Ways To Survive Winter In Iowa City

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

For me, one of the scariest parts of coming to school in Iowa was the winters. I am from southern Virginia, where the coldest that it gets in the winter is around 50 degrees. I thought I was ready and that I could handle it, but once it got into the negatives during finals week of fall semester, all bets were off. I realized that the jacket I brought wasn’t warm enough, and I didn’t even bring gloves. However, I survived my first winter in Iowa City, so here are some of the valuable lessons that I learned along the way. 

1. Invest in an extremely warm winter coat 

When I showed up on the University of Iowa campus, I thought I was ready to go with what I thought was a warm enough jacket. The tag of the jacket read “all weather,” so I just assumed it could withstand the snow that I was about to experience I quickly reallized that if I tried to walk to class in that jacket when it was below 40 degrees, I would most likely freeze to death. So, for Christmas I asked for a North Face parka, and it was the best decision that I have ever made. I may look like a walking marshmallow, but I feel so warm that I don’t even care. The one I got was called the “Artic Down Parka” and cost $299.00, but it was honestly worth every penny.  

2. Know that your body will actually start to get used to the freezing temperatures

While you will never be immune to feeling cold during winter in Iowa, you will definately start to adapt to the climate. Once you get over the initial shock, you will realize that it actually isn’t that bad. The first time I went home for winter break, I was standing outside the airport in 38 degree weather with no coat, but I felt like it was beautiful out. Everyone else around me was all bundled up and thought I was crazy. That was the moment that I realized that I might actually be getting used to this whole Iowan thing. 

3. Layers are necessary 

Nothing is worse then being all bundled up with an extremely heavy sweater and then walking into a lecture hall that feels like a sauna. This happened to me so many times first semester, and I was miserable. I felt like I could never win because I was always either freezing or sweating. Then I discovered the art of layering. All you have to do is put on lighter items under your big winter jacket, and you should be good to go. 

4. Take the bus as much as you can

This is probably a given, but stay warm by taking the Cambus! If you want to go downtown, to the west side from the east side or even just to the library, taking the bus will be the fastest and warmest option. However, one big problem in Iowa City during the winter is that the buses are constantly full. I usually give up and just walk instead because I’m impatient. But if this happens to you, then go into a warm building and wait for the next bus. It shouldn’t be that long of a wait, and you will definitely be happier in the end. 

5. Beware of slippery sidewalks and roads

When it starts to snow, everything gets extremely slippery. I haven’t actually fallen yet myself, but I have definitely seen a lot of people wipe out on the sidewalk or on the hills. Just be very careful of where you are walking, and go as slow as possible. There is nothing worse then wiping out in front of a hundred people on the Pentacrest. In order to avoid this, wear snow boots or any other shoes with a lot of traction. 

6. Dress to be warm, not to impress

The truth is, when it is freezing out, no one cares about how hot they look because everyone just wants to be warm. So wear your warmest sweater, even if it is kind of ugly, and put on those rainbow fuzzy socks because if you don’t you will definitely regret it later. 

I hope these tips were helpful whether you are new to the midwest or not. Enjoy this nice weather we have been having lately, but know that you will be ready when winter rolls around again. 

First year Psychology student at The University of Iowa. Made of big dreams and a lot of coffee.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.