6 Survival Tips For Music Festival Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

With school ending and summer beginning, it’s time we welcome festival season with open arms. With events like Lollapalooza, Country Thunder, Bonnaroo, Electric Forest and so many more, it can get a bit overwhelming if you don’t prepare yourself ahead of time. Now don’t get me wrong: getting the perfect outfit is a pretty important part of every festival, but keeping yourself organized and safe is essential as well. With that being said, here are a few tips that I think will help us all out this summer as we rage all weekend at our favorite festivals.

1. Stay hydrated

This one, without a doubt, is my biggest tip to anyone going to any festival. When you’re out roaming around in the sun all day, your body gets dehydrated a lot faster than usual. I have seen so many people at festivals pass out and have to get medical attention just because they weren’t getting enough H2O. We all know how expensive these tickets can be; who wants to leave early just because they didn’t get enough water? While a lot of festivals don’t allow you to bring in water, packing an empty bottle that you can refill throughout the weekend will be a life saver…literally! 

2. Carry a portable charger

In a crowded place like a festival, it’s super important to stay connected to your group. Bringing a small portable charger is such a smart move. Not only will you stay connected to your friends, but you’ll be way more inclined to document the event without the fear that your phone will die in the middle of the day.

3. Pack a snack

I’ll be real with you: eating at festivals can be expensive. There are so many delicious vendors offered, but paying $8 for a chicken leg just isn’t right. A majority of festivals won’t let you bring in your own food. However, if you can find a way to sneak in a few granola bars to munch on throughout the day, you’ll save a ton of cash. This isn’t me telling you to break the rules though…just telling you what I may or may not have done in the past. Shhhh!

4. Wear SPF

I cannot stress enough how important sunscreen is you guys! This one definitely comes in second, if not tied, to staying hydrated. On a day-to-day basis it’s important to protect your skin, but especially at a festival! You know you will be outside for 90% of the day, and if you don’t protect your skin, you will fry faster than that $8 chicken leg. Again, no one wants to have to leave the festival early because they got sun poisoning. Take care of your skin and douse yourself in sunscreen as often as possible throughout the day.

5. Wear a fanny pack

When you’re spending hours going from set to set, carrying a huge bag or backpack gets tiring real quick. Opting for a smaller option like a fanny pack will be one of the best decisions you can make. It’s just big enough for you to keep your phone, portable charger, granola bar and sunscreen (all very important elements as discussed above). And if your water bottle doesn’t fit in the fanny pack, clipping it to the belt works great, too. Now you’re hands free and ready to rock out in the crowd.

6. Wear comfortable shoes

Looking cute at a festival is fun, but being comfy is a way better option. Sure, those new knee-high gladiator sandals look good with your outfit, but will those blisters match, too? Okay, maybe, but will those blisters be worth it? Brands like Chaco, Teva and Sanuk all offer comfort-friendly sandals that are still pretty cute for festivals season. At the end of the day, if you pick comfort over style, your feet will thank you.

Stay safe, rage on, keep the good vibes flowing and have a fantastic festival season!

Hannah is the President of Her Campus Iowa and has been a member of the chapter for the last 3 years. She is a senior from the suburbs of Chicago studying Journalism and Mass Communications and is a huge reality T.V. show fan (she may or may not have secretly bought a Hulu subscription just to binge watch KUWTK...no tea, no shade). After graduating, Hannah's goal is to land a social media position at a beauty and lifestyle company so she can utilize her skills to represent their brand and expand her own knowledge and creativity. 
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.