5 Ways To Relax After A Long Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

How often do you let your mind rest? Between school all week, social events on Friday and Saturday and cramming all your homework into Sunday, we college girls don’t get a lot of “me time.” In order to not feel completely burned out every time Monday rolls around again, we have to start taking care of our bodies and minds. Here are a few ways we like to unwind at Her Campus Iowa.

1. Put on a sheet mask

Light a candle, put on your favorite TV show and let a sheet mask soak up all your leftover stress. Yes, you’ll look terrifying for twenty minutes, but your skin will be bright and clear by the end of it. Don’t forget to rub the extra gel in afterwards, and whatever you do don’t wash your face afterwards! This is because sheet masks are generaly used to boost hydration, so keeping the serum on will continue to hydrate your face long after the mask is off! You’ll be feeling relaxed and rejuvenated in no time. Check out “6 Things You Need to Know Before Trying Face Sheet Masks” for more information.

2. Go on a Target run

Is it just me or is there something incredibly relaxing about pretending to be a middle aged stay-at-home mom? (Mom, I know your job is crazy hard, but I just love Target and grocery shopping, okay?) The dollar section is a great way to engage in a little retail therapy without having to stress over the money you spent later. And don’t even get me started about their home section…I’m already buying things for an apartment I don’t have!

3. Meditate

Still searching for that inner zen? Meditation might get you a couple steps closer. There are so many apps to guide you through your first meditation, but my personal favorite is Headspace. Meditation can be frustrating at first because it isn’t just sitting quietly and closing your eyes. Meditation is the act of clearing your mind. It can be really hard to learn to let your thoughts go, but don’t give up. The calm you’ll eventually achieve is worth it, I promise. 

4. Be alone

And I don’t mean alone with your phone or alone with Netflix. Learn to be alone with yourself. Exercise without music, read without checking Instagram every other page maybe even just sit and think. Scary, right? Getting rid of all the “noise” in your life, even just for a bit, will give your brain a much needed rest. 

5. Sleep

Obvious, right? Apparently not. We all have so much on our plates that sleep seems to always be put on the back burner. Take an hour to forget about your responsibilities and just rest. If you’re trying to get through work while being completely exhausted, you’ll get way less done than if you just allow yourself a little nap and then get back to work.

Make time for yourself this week and try one (or all!) of these methods to rejuvinate your body and mind! Good luck, collegiettes, you deserve it.

Maya Mahajan is a freshman studying philosophy at the University of Iowa. She is a senator in the University of Iowa Student Government, a member of Kappa Alpha Theta, a member of the Editorial Team for HerCampus at Iowa, and author of a blog, maya-ashley.com.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.