This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Being a college student is the furthest thing from cheap. In addition to tuition there are things like books and supplies you also need to pay for. And don’t even get me started on all the costs of living in an apartment, paying bills, buying groceries, etc. The worst part about being a student and having to pay all these fees is not having a way to pay them. Without (and sometimes even with) a job, making it financially in college can be tough. So here are five ways that may help you get thru the days of living off of leftovers and Ramen Noodles.

1. Sell your clothes

Let’s face it, us girls typically have wayyyyy too many clothes, yet we convince ourselves to buy new things all the time. Taking old, but still cute and trendy, clothes to places like Plato’s Closet is a great way to make money. It’s quick and super easy to do! Just try not to spend it on more clothes on your way out!

2. Sell old furniture/belongings

Moving from one lease to the next throughout college can be costly and stressful, especially when everything doesn’t fit. I know personally right after I moved into my new apartment this past August, I had a lot of stuff that just didn’t really have a home. After a few weeks of those things just kinda hanging out in boxes, I realized I didn’t really need any of them anymore. On Facebook I joined an “Iowa City Garage Sale” page, and within hours, I had made $50 on stuff that would have just stayed in boxes otherwise.

3. Donate plasma

Donating plasma is a win-win. Not only are you helping to create preventative medicines and provide plasma for research, but you get paid, too! Every center is different, but by donating once or twice a week you can make anywhere from thirty to seventy dollars!

4. Tutor

Tutoring is another simple way to make money. If you have a certain subject you excel in teaching your peers who may not be as strong in that subject can pay off…literally. This way of making money is nice because if your students end up liking you and see themselves making progress, then you may have a steady income throughout the semester.

5. Get a job

This last one is pretty self explanatory. Working in college can be difficult, but if you find the right fit, ensuring your school work comes first, then the payoff is worth it! Just make sure you take time to still focus on school and enjoy your college experience.

Now hopefully with these tips your bank account won’t see the negative sign as often!

This is the Anonymous author account for Her Campus at the University of Iowa.
Sarah Nelson is senior at the University of Iowa pursuing a Journalism major, English minor, and Fundraising and Philanthropy Communication Certificate. When she's not binge-watching One Tree Hill or Jane the Virgin on Netflix (again), she's is probably rereading the Harry Potter series or writing for her blog, SarahNdipity. With an addiction to books and coffee, Sarah hopes to take the world by storm as a book editor. Or social media marketer. Or blogger. (She hasn't quite made up her mind yet, but that's okay because who says you have to be just one thing?)