5 Ways To Keep Your Long-Distance Relationship Afloat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Unfortunately, long-distance relationships are a thing. And while they do suck (I can’t even count how many times I have hugged my phone while Skyping my boyfriend), they do have their benefits. You learn to trust each other, you learn to be independent of each other, and you learn to appreciate your significant other more.

However, sometimes the strain of not seeing each other very often or working around conflicting class schedules can make you question if dealing with the distance is worth it. Of course, you and your significant other love each other, otherwise you wouldn’t be trying to work through all the difficulties life throws you throughout your relationship.

Every relationship has its ups and downs, especially those with miles between them, and here are some ways to help the good outweigh the bad.

1. Texting

Of course, texting is an obvious way to keep in contact with your significant other. But, even more than the regular “How was your day” and “How are you” texts that are obligatorily sent every day, try taking it a step up with “Good morning” and “Good night” texts. An even more engaging idea is to text your boyfriend or girlfriend whenever you see something that makes you think about them.

Random texts are great, too. My boyfriend and I send each other random “I love you” texts throughout the day, and it’s always nice to open up a message and remember that there is someone out there who cares for you and your wellbeing. We send each other stupid pictures we find throughout the day, too, and sometimes those pictures become inside jokes between us.

2. Compliments

While this could technically be combined with the “texting” section, this can apply when you’re on the phone, video chatting or personally with your significant other. Tiny little compliments can bring you and your boyfriend or girlfriend closer, and can keep that trust and love between you alive and growing.

3. Spending time together

Even though you and your significant other can’t do a lot together because of the distance, there are still things you can do together. For example, my boyfriend and I play online videogames together, which is something we do when we’re with each other, too. It’s nice to experience an activity that you can both do together and even feel like you’re together.

Doing similar things to those that you do while you’re actually with each other is a great thing, too. It gives these activities a level of “normalcy” similar to what your relationship is actually like — and can help forget that there is that distance between you.

A few other ideas for things to do together are read a book, doing homework together over a video call or watching movies or TV shows on Netflix together.

4. Remembering the little things

Is your significant other nervous about a test or a job interview? Is a monthly anniversary coming up in the next few days? Give your boyfriend or girlfriend a call or send them a quick text to let them know you’re thinking about them during a stressful time of their life. Give them that boost of confidence they need — just sending a quick “you’re going to be great” can help your significant other feel better about their situation.

In addition, it can let them know you’re listening when they talk, and that you truly care about them and their life. Who wouldn’t want to know that someone wants to hear about your day, even the boring stuff that you think no one in their right mind would be interested in? Provide that for your significant other, and they will provide it for you, too.

5. Know you’re both working hard

You and your significant other are both working hard to make your relationship work. That’s why you’re both willing to go through the trials and tribulations of an LDR. It’s because you love each other and care for each other greatly. As long as you remember what you’re in this relationship for, all will work out for the best.

Rachel Green is a senior Journalism and Mass Communication Major at the University of Iowa. She is also earning two minors in Sport and Recreation Management and Spanish and a certificate in Creative Writing. She serves at Her Campus Iowa's Senior Editor, and is a member of Iowa's editorial team. When she's not working on something for Her Campus, she can be found studying in the library, doodling in her sketchbooks or curling up with a cup of tea and a book.  
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.