5 Upcoming Must-See Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

In the past few years, Hollywood has truly struck gold with so many box office hits: The Wolf of Wall Street, The Hunger Games 1 & 2, Guardians of the Galaxy, American Hustle, The Fault in Our Stars… the list goes on and on. But we still have quite a few movies to look forward to in the next few months, and I know I’m too excited to see them! I’ve picked out a list of 5, based on the over all storyline and casting job, for upcoming, must-see movies.

#1- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part One (In theatres November 21st, 2014)

View trailer here

This fan favorite trilogy is almost at its end as Jennifer Lawrence (excuse my French) kicks some ass as Katniss. I don’t want to spoil anything for those who haven’t read the books, but just thinking about this action packed movie gives me the chills! Plus, getting to look at Josh Hutcherson (Peeta) and Liam Hemsworth (Gale) for a solid two hours is always a lovely sight. 

#2- Jupiter Ascending (In theatres February 26th, 2015)

View trailer here

Mila Kunis and Channing Tatum take to the big screen in a film about a young woman that gets targeted for assassinatin by the Queen of the Universe. Now let’s be honest, this movie looks very….interesting, but Channing Tatum is in it, so it’s basically gold, right? If the directors are smart enough to throw in some shirtless scenes with Mr. Tatum, then every girl will probably appreciate this movie, just like we did with Magic Mike. 

#3- Horrible Bosses 2 (In theatres November 26th, 2014)

View trailer here

Horrible Bosses was hilarious, so let’s hope this sequel can keep up! Instead of Dale, Kurt and Nick trying to sabotage their bosses, they become their own bosses as their business backfires on them. Aside from the kidnapping they get themselves into, who doesn’t want to see Jennifer Aniston hilariously torment her employees all over again?

#4- The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies (In theatres December 17th, 2014) 

View trailer here 

I might be a tad biasd in this choice because I’m a die hard Lord of the Rings fan, but Bilbo and the dwarves are finally going to complete their journey in defeating the evil Smaug. There has been some speculation as to what this movie will focus most of its script on; Bilbo getting back to the Shire with the Ring or the actual battle against Smaug. As far as the preview shows, it seems to be more battle-esque, but only time will tell! 

#5- Fifty Shades of Grey (In theatres February 13th, 2015)

View trailer here

If you’re a girl over the age of 18, then Fifty Shades of Grey is a must read trilogy for you (beware of the intense sexual content!). The love story of Anastasia Steele, played by Dakota Johnson, and Christian Grey, played by Jamie Dornan, will finally come to life in what’s expected to be one of the most risque movies of 2015. I’m very curious to see how the directors will pull this off, and if the cast suits the scandalous script!

If you do decide to go out and see one of these five upcoming films, be sure to check out all Marcus Theaters, as they only charge $5 for students on Thursdays and feature $5 movies all day on Tuesdays.

U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.