5 Unique Themed Parties You Need to Have This Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Celebrate December with these non-traditional party ideas:

1. Ugly Sweater Party

This themed party is a must during the holiday months. Scope out the best ugly sweater at your nearest Goodwill (or make your own!), and let the ugliness begin. Send out cute invitations, and award a cheesy prize to the person with the ugliest sweater. Make sure to have a fun playlist with the perfect mix of classic Christmas songs and popular hits. A DIY photo booth also adds to the excitement of the party.

2. Cookie Party

Have a sweet tooth? This is the party for you. Gather some of your friends who love to bake, and host a holiday cookie party. Each guest brings a different kind of cookie for guests to try and recipe cards to share with the group. Serve coffee and other hot beverages to go with the cookies. Check out 100 cookie recipes here. Yum!

3. Holiday Craft Party

The holidays are the perfect excuse to craft like crazy. Hosting a craft party is a festive way to get your creative juices flowing. Pick a doable, cute craft, like these sock snowmen or these sharpie mugs. Serve finger foods and appetizers for snacking. Even your least crafty friend will find herself getting into the glitter.

4. Snow Day Party

When the white stuff hits the ground and class gets cancelled, there’s only one thing to do: party. Have an old-fashioned snow day, and go sledding or have a snowball fight with your BFFs. Cozy up and watch movies in a homemade blanket fort. Don’t forget to top off the chilly day with a tasty hot cocoa bar. Set out unique toppings and add-ins, like Pirouette cookies and caramel sauce.

5. Luau Party

As University of Iowa students, we know that Iowa winters are cold. Like, really cold. Have a beachy bash to help you and your friends forget about the dropping temps. Bring the tropics to your party with tropical drinks and luau decorations. String lights and make these bright tissue paper flowers to hang around your house or apartment. Don’t forget to try this amazing homemade tropical punch recipe. Aloha!

Party on, collegiettes!

*Photos via Pinterest, Corbis Photos, Uncommon Designs, Sally’s Baking Addiction, Buzzfeed

Hannah is a junior at The University of Iowa. She is a student in The UI School of Journalism and Mass Communication, as well as the Communications Undergrad Program. She is actively involved on campus, and enjoys cooking & working out. She's obsessed with her dog, Toby and hopes to one day work in fashion public relations.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.