5 Things Every Girl Must Have in Her Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

School is back in session and that means dressing for every occasion either it being a sorority event, class, or that must go to party. If you are like me, every time I go to my closet I feel that I don’t have anything to wear. I will try to help that problem by providing five basic staples that should be in every girl’s wardrobe. Having these staples will provide more ways to mix and match outfits and less times running to the mall to get that last minute dress!

1. Perfect Fitting Jeans—Every girl has their favorite jeans, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they are the best fitting jeans. The perfect fitting jean should match your body type, be the right size, and fit your personality. There are so many jeans out there ranging from the high-waisted to the ultra flair. Find your style and then ask a consultant at the store to help you find one that fits. It will allow you to wear it to any occasion from work to play. I suggest checking out the GAP or the Buckle.

2. Little Black Dress—Have you ever been in that situation where you just got invited to that black tie event and you have nothing to wear? Look no further than the little black dress! This dress saves you in so many situations because you can dress it up and down. To dress it up just wear your favorite colored heals and accent jewelry. To dress it down, throw on a jean jacket and black flats and your ready to go! There are so many different styles to choose from with a black dress and you can essentially find them anywhere!

3. A Pair of Flats—The flats saved the feet from the heels. Seriously, after wearing heels for over three hours your feet start to hurt. Switch them out for flats and your feet will thank you! Flats provide any fashionista with comfort, but yet still looking put together and cute. I prefer to have a pair of black ones always on hand because they go with mostly anything. Kohl’s has some cute ones from the LC Lauren Conrad Collection.

4. Cardigan—The nice thing about a cardigan is that you can wear it in any season and situation. I usually wore a cardigan to work during the summer to battle the cold office chill. In the winter it’s nice to have one on hand for the temperature and to spice up your outfit. I have cardigans in almost every color. Express and Banana Republic are good outlets to find some cute options.

5. A Nice Watch—One thing that a lot of people first notice about your outfit is your accessories. A watch is a big one that many look at it: including employers! Watches are nice because they allow my wardrobe to look more put together and professional, but also allow me to stay on time. Check out Michael Kors and Fossil for some up-to-date watches.

There you collegiates, the top five things you should have in closet. Now time to get shopping! 

Peter Frankman is an underclassman at the University of Iowa from Burbank, California. He has a few addictions in his life: writing, reading, heavy metal, Adult Swim, and any movie with zombies. He joined The University of Iowa's Her Campus team as the writer of the "From a Guy's Perspective" articles in January 2011 and hasn't looked back since (except to make sure he doesn't write the same article twice). Peter's a major in both Journalism and Creative Writing and hopes to become a writer in some way, shape or form after he graduates. That or the President of the United States, he hasn't really focused too much to say anything decisive yet... or maybe he has, we're not quite sure. If he had to choose a night of guilty pleasures it would include the Beastie Boys, Monster Import: Light, Zebra Cakes, and a marathon of subpar movies that he thinks are amazing (Blade, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Fast and the Furious, etc).